Duration of individual session

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Pohutukawa

Duration of individual session

Post by Pohutukawa » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi, Just wondering if PGS tracks duration of individual sessions, as in, ohhh, logged on, how long have I been playing? I know it tracks total practice time, just curious, no biggie. (Coz I keep forgetting to take notice of the time when I start practicing and want to make sure I do at least an hour.)

sw1tch73ch

Re: Duration of individual session

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:45 am

I don't believe the app tracks Actual Time spent. It only tracks time spent playing within the lesson. So my current plan is to lay at least 30 minutes tracked - which may or may not be an hour real time. But then again, if my brain locks up on a tough lesson, I'll leave playground running, but take a break away from the digital piano to reset and come back - then the app would track truly IDLE time that I don't want to count. Going by actual time spent banging on the keyboard seems the best way to track our time - I just wish it had a way to do that while I'm working at "my own pace" - i.e., with the metronome off.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Pohutukawa

Post by Pohutukawa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:48 pm

OK... So just the general stats? So if I lo on today to start...I'll need to see what I'm up to in terms of time spent...then look again when I finish up, to see the time I've spent in this particular session? As in, there's not a trip counter (kind like a car that measures overall mileage but also allows you to measure individual trips)?

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 am

I'm only noticed that it keeps the time for the lessons I play all the way through. If I abort at any point for any reason, that one doesn't get added to the clock. If you get the Time Points and Practice points for the lesson, it does get counted.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:03 pm

If you're on a computer or laptop, go to the progress charts within the app. There, you can click on a specific lesson and you should be able to view specific statistics for this lesson such as time spent.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Paulopedia

Post by Paulopedia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 am

The plugin should include the ability to track your time spent playing highlighted measures less than the whole piece. You could spend 2 hours trying to get a Bootcamp session to the point where you can play it all the way through, and PGS gives you oogatz for all of that effort. That hardly seems logical or fair.

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 am

You're right that the software weirdly only 'rewards' the most inefficient way to practice your lessons and songs. It would be much better, also for PGS, if a user who takes advantage of the great study tools available gets points just like someone mindlessly playing through complete pieces again and again. Same for figuring out a piece note by note with the song paused, although that is hard to measure.

Then again, those points mean exactly nothing :D your improvement over time while having fun is what counts.

Paulopedia

Post by Paulopedia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:53 am

...and I'm not even talking about Session Level point, just time points.

clif9710

Post by clif9710 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm

As a couple of others have mentioned, if you don't play through the exercise but practice only a part of it, that doesn't get counted as time spent.

This bothered me until I realized that time spent doesn't matter...you either get it or you don't and if you don't you need to put in more time, no matter how much, to get it right. Even if the time spent were perfectly accurate it wouldn't mean anything because it is only your progress that matters to you and you can't force yourself to get better quicker.

With this in mind I stopped checking the time tracking of PS. If you only have so much time to spend per day that's easily tracked with an ordinary clock or timer. Now I'm wondering why they included the "time spent" feature.

Paulopedia

Post by Paulopedia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:05 pm

clif9710 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm
As a couple of others have mentioned, if you don't play through the exercise but practice only a part of it, that doesn't get counted as time spent.

This bothered me until I realized that time spent doesn't matter...
...to you. I expect the application to keep track of my actual total time spent practicing while using it... like Piano Marvel does.