Finger positions for songs

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
banditgrrr

Finger positions for songs

Post by banditgrrr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:52 pm

I'm a brand new Playground Sessions user and just starting to learn piano. I've completed several of the rookie bootcamp lessons and I like the fact that it shows you finger positions so I know where I need to be. I downloaded a few of the Rookie songs and they do not show finger positions. For rookie songs where your right hand has to span 7-10 notes, I'm getting easily confused on what fingers to use. Is there a way to see what fingers to use for a beginner when spanning several notes?

andrewwegierski

Re: Finger positions for songs

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Every lesson segment, regardless of whether it's a bootcamp, course, or song, has finger numbers.

On the toolbar above the interactive sheet music, make sure finger numbers are selected.

If it's still not showing up, send me an email at support@playgroundsessions.com and please include a reference to a specific song or lesson.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

oconnorbarry

Post by oconnorbarry » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi Andrew

I think the original question, and the problem I'm having, is about the keyboard at the bottom of the screen, rather than the finger number. The keyboard at the bottom usually lights up, showing which key needs to be pressed. So when finger 1 comes up on the sheet music, you know which key on the piano needs to be hit with your thumb. The problem is that, for My Songs, the keyboard does not light up at all. So you do know that it's time to use your thumb, but you don't know which key to press (without reading the sheet music properly - not easy for a rookie!).

Thanks

Barry

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi there,

Got it. So you're referring to the blue stickers on the on-screen keyboard at the bottom?

Those get taken away on purpose in later boot camp lessons (and songs), much like "taking the training wheels off" on a bike.

You can click on a note in the notation though, and it'll light up briefly on the keyboard. Hope this helps!

Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:13 pm

I think there is a feature request that could be created from this question, if it hasn't already found it's way into one.

Yamaha and many other manufacturers make a "Light Up Keys" lesson system for learning songs on some of the keyboards. What would be interesting as a new features would be a follow-me "light up" keys for song lessons. It would be a mode like the finger numbers or letter names that the user could enable or disable and where the next notes would be highlighted until they get played. I imagine this would go well with the often requested "Play at my own pace" mode.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --