Logical Gaps

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Flashdharma

Logical Gaps

Post by Flashdharma » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:46 pm

I am a guitar player. I have NEVER played keyboard. These lessons are my first experience with keyboard.

When I teach, I warn about 'Logical Gaps'. A logical gap is a place in the instruction, where the instructor assumes knowledge on the part of the student which has not been taught. When these gaps occur it is very difficutl for the student to move on without finding a source for the missing information that lies outside the instructional set.

I have been working through the Bootcamp lessons carefully and in order. In the lesson 'Rhythm, Part 1', I am expected to play an excercise that involves the use of both hands. There has been no instruction to that point on playing with both hands. I looked forward in the curriculum and the introduction to playing with both hands occurs 3 or 4 lesson later in the lesson set.

As well, in the next lesson, on tied notes, the video instruction references a lesson that, supposedly, occured earlier in the lesson set on 'Superman'. I don't remember that lesson being taught, and when I went back, I could not find it. The narrator says that it was 'lesson 1'. In my Bootcamp set, that does not appear to be the case.

Am I missing something here, or is there material out of sequence and material that is missing?

thomas1018
Site Admin

Re: Logical Gaps

Post by thomas1018 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:14 am

Hi Flashdharma,

In the original design of the program, the videos were created without the thought of having the practice exercises to supplement them. Over time, we reshuffled the order of the videos to accommodate our ability to add practice exercises. These exercises help fill in, to use your term, these "Logical Gaps". We are aware some of the language in the video lessons do not line up with the current order of the Bootcamp. Eventually, we will update the video lessons so everything matches.

In the meantime, we are cooking up a new batch of practice exercises that should be added to the Rookie Tour in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

lydiarene

Post by lydiarene » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:22 pm

Is there a way to learn which order the lessons are supposed to go in? I have also been following each lesson religiously and found a big gap when I got to the "Practice Techniques" lesson.

thomas1018
Site Admin

Post by thomas1018 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:26 am

Hi lydirene,

The Practice Techniques video talks about making sure you play music slowly and carefully when you learn. If you continue forward, the next 2 lessons (Falling Slowly and Stairway To Heaven) are about hand position changes. David discusses moving your hand in the video.