Rookie Bootcamp 66: Story of my life

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
VictorAllis

Rookie Bootcamp 66: Story of my life

Post by VictorAllis » Wed May 17, 2017 9:05 pm

I am stuck on step 4 of Story of my Life. I can easily play it flawlessly at half speed, but when I play at full speed (or most intermediate speeds) I get seemingly unjustified red notes mostly on the series of F's that are played as quarter notes. I cannot make out whether I am just too slow, or just too fast but it cannot be by more than a few milliseconds. There has been one lesson earlier in bootcamp (I cannot remember which one that was, but somewhere in the 30-range) where I had similar timing issues, but for all other lessons I have been able to get the full 100% on every single step, on full speed. Also, it seems that in the other lessons, even if I felt I was slightly off in my speed it was typically quite forgiving in awarding green notes, so I am not sure why this lesson is different.

So, I am just wondering whether I am really doing something wrong, or whehther this lesson is just really finicky about being exactly right with timing? Any and all advice appreciated!

Laurensss

Re: Rookie Bootcamp 66: Story of my life

Post by Laurensss » Thu May 18, 2017 9:17 am

How did just the right hand (lesson 3) go? And did you listen to the piano demo (click the hand symbols up top)?

VictorAllis

Post by VictorAllis » Sat May 20, 2017 7:16 pm

I did get a 100% on lesson 3, but I don't remember whether this was at full speed or a slower speed. However, when I tried to play that lesson a few times today, I was having the same struggles. So, I then put on the left/right hand symbols and had the system play it for me. What is very clear when listening to it (at least on my laptop), that the timing is off. The series of 5 Fs in a row are just not evenly spaced. There are little "hiccups" in there, which is very easy to hear on full speed in lesson 4. Just to make sure I was not deluding myself I asked my wife to listen in and her verdict was very clearly the same as mine: the system is just not playing these notes evenly. I am not sure whether this is the reason that I cannot get this right, but hopefully this helps figure out what is wrong.

I am continuing to finish Bootcamp (now just starting on Celine Dion) with just a few lesson to go, and no. 66 is the only one I had to keep incomplete. I hope someone can figure out what is going on.

JKonas

Post by JKonas » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:22 pm

Yeah, this lesson is super hard. Hardest one in the rookie section by far. I do fine when I slow it down, but I struggle to keep up with that tempo.

pnarzem

Post by pnarzem » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 pm

I am having a hard time with the left hand using finger 1. It is very uncomfortable for me. Took and break and worked on my songs that I purchased. But I plan on going back and trying it slow and building finger independence. I havent finished it yet either.
Perry
------------------------------------------------------
Roland FP-10

Okabe

Post by Okabe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:00 pm

I agree, this is the only lesson I really am not enjoying, there is something weird with the rythm. Even when I listen to the system piano playing, it sounds weird. I do understand what they are trying to learn so I might pick it up at a later time but I'm surprised not more people complained about this

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Any suggestions on left hand position? I can play both hands with good accuracy and full speed on step 4 but the next step where you add the thumb is problematic. The left hand needs to pivot to hit the Bb if you play low on the keys, which causes stress on the wrist, and I'm guessing is clearly not a good way to play it. If I play high on the keys then fingers 3,4, and 5 feel really crowded, I assume that's a better hand position because there is little stress on the wrist but it feels awkward. Any suggestions?

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:40 am

@Swampfox definitely play high up. I think this lesson is #75 now? The F is easy to hit with 3, your 5 hopefully fits between the black keys on the D, and the 4 isn't used.

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox » Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Thank you. It took a few days but playing up on the keys doesn't feel as crowded as it did early on.

equilibria

Post by equilibria » Sun May 26, 2019 2:37 pm

This is indeed a difficult one. I am 87 minutes under way and at the last step 6 at 88%.
Hopefully I finish this one soon, since the finger placement feels awkward.