Newbie - Not Learning? Bad habits? UPDATED

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
apol0

Newbie - Not Learning? Bad habits? UPDATED

Post by apol0 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Hello,

I have been studying piano for a month and in the process I have used several tools in the following order:

1. Yusician
2. FlowKey
3. PlayGround

To be honest my favorite so far is Playground, I just upgraded to the anually package and at the begining I felt like I was really learning but after the first 10 sections I just feel like doing the same thing while not really learning. I got used to play with the finger numered on the sheets and it helps but I don't want to keep using that because long term I think is gonna affect my learning process :? . I tried removing the finger number from the sheet and it is impossible for me to play almost anything (out of C mayor).

I am very frustrared because I feel like I am repeating myself and not improving any skills. Have anyone had this issue ? The feeling of not learning, just repating is frustrating. I can pass the exercises pressing the notes that are needed in 100% acurancy but still I don't feel like playing piano corretly. Any suggestions :?:

Thanks!
Last edited by apol0 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwighta

Re: Newbie - Not Learning? Bad habits? UPDATED

Post by dwighta » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi, I found that it does't seem to be a very good learning system for me. After awhile it just felt like I was playing an ongoing video game and not really learning much. I seem to accomplish more just using sheet music. Probably too late for me to get a refund now.

apol0

Post by apol0 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:53 am

I had to file a complaint with Paypal to get my refund, the support system of this company is totally unfunctional. I wrote several emails and never got a response from them. The best option is to save that money and just pay for a teacher.

scirocco

Post by scirocco » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 pm

apol0 wrote:I tried removing the finger number from the sheet and it is impossible for me to play almost anything (out of C mayor).
I think the finger numbering thing can be a trap. I think you need to turn it off as soon as you understand what the fingering is for a particular song and not rely on playing by the numbers, or else you will never learn to do anything else. Same goes for the note names or you will never learn to read the music.
Beginners should not have to figure this out for themselves. Maybe they should all be off by default and there could be hints about turning them on if you need them or something.