Lesson 41 - Notation wake up call

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
chris_m

Lesson 41 - Notation wake up call

Post by chris_m » Tue May 23, 2017 4:41 pm

So I've gotten all the way to lesson 41 without realizing I should by now have learnt to actually read notation rather than just playing by finger numbers.

In lesson 41 when David changes finger positions like 4 times I'm just staring puzzled.

Stupid me.

But honestly - I was expecting this to be introduced gradually, telling me to now turn off the finger numbers and practicing without them. Maybe that is evident to most people, but evidently not to all. I really don't think this is even mentioned at any point? Or did I miss it?

I suppose I have to start over now with the numbers off...

sw1tch73ch

Re: Lesson 41 - Notation wake up call

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed May 24, 2017 3:35 pm

Is Lesson 41 "Over My Head" Practice Techniques? This is an extension to the "Extended Hand Position" lessons that is set to prepare you to do the various real hand change lessons that follow. Turning off the finger numbering might not help yet. What you want to pay attention to is where the hands should be by touching the letters in the sheet music to see where they show on the "virtual" keyboard at the bottom of the lesson.

I don't remember where the discussions about the Finger Numbering vs. Note names vs. neither happens. The numbers are really important to showing how the hand positions change, though. You really should try to learn how the keyboard and the sheet music line up, where middle C is on your keyboard and where it is in the sheet music (and for all the other keys and notes on both). That doesn't mean give up on the finger numbers just yet. You have several lessons where the hands will be moving a lot.

Take it slow, literally, set the tempo slow, learn where each note is on the keyboard and which finger you might want to play that note with as shown in the lesson. Once you can play at full tempo at the very end of the lesson, try turning off the finger numbering. You probably should first use the Letter Names before trying the music without Finger Numbers or Letter Names. This will assist learning to read the sheet music. Then when you can play with the Letter Names at full tempo, try with just the sheet music (which is often how you'll buy sheet music - no finger numbering or note names).

Also, make sure you have all the lessons up to date. If you think you missed something, it very well might be in an updated or new (but lower numbered) lesson. After the last batch of new lessons, I went back and worked through all the new lessons between the beginning and where I currently am. Some of the new lessons were important.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --