Stuck in Lesson 40

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
apol0

Stuck in Lesson 40

Post by apol0 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello,

Is there anyone having issues with Lesson 40? The numbers for the fingers were removed and the "Every good boy does fine" it's a little bit confusing for me, by the time I think where is the good boy I missed the note lol. Does anyone have a printed sheet with the note names and position? Maybe I can memorize it. Also, I am new in all of this and I think for every scale the positions on the sheet changes? Not sure about that, can someone help?

Thank you so much!

sw1tch73ch

Re: Stuck in Lesson 40

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue May 30, 2017 1:59 am

Which lesson do you have as Lesson 40? Is it the one that uses "Lean On Me"?

You should be able to choose which fingers you want to play with on that 2nd step of 8 (the first being a video), your first line will be Middle C and then ascending, D, E, F, G, A, B and C. That first note with one ledger line below the treble clef and the note on that line will be Middle C. I'd say play with the Thumb on C, Index on D, Middle on E, Ring on F, then to make up for having to play eight notes with five fingers, slide the thumb under the ring finger to play the next note, a G, with your Thumb, A with the Index, B with the Middle, and finally that last note on the first bar is the next C on the keyboard, one octave above middle C, and play it with the ring finger. Really, play those notes with whichever fingers are most comfortable and convenient.

The next bar has the notes labeled, and you'll see they start on E. Using the same sort of logic, you could start with the Thumb on E, and switch the Thumb under the ring to reach the B and then your pinkie will end up on the last note of the bar, the F at the top of the staff.

The third bar are very deep bass notes. You could walk your way down from middle C just like going up on the treble clef. Or you can use the lettering on the page to see that there is a C as the forth note. That is one octave below Middle C. And like before, start with the left most finger of your hand (this time the left hand, so your pinkie) on that first note, the G close below that C one octave below Middle C. This time I'd walk all the way up to the thumb, which would be on the D right in the middle of the Bass Clef, then put the left hand ring finger on the E that follows and you will end with your thumb on the A at the top of the Bass Clef.

The rest of the steps in lesson 40 have finger numbering. Any time in these lessons you can have the lesson "Demo" play the piece for you by clicking the little left and right hand icons at the top above the sheet music (this tells the software to play those notes for you). You can then watch the virtual keyboard light up each note as they play. Also, you should be able to click on a note on the sheet music and see where on the virtual keyboard that note is.

This is not a race, so if you need to, take the time to count up the lines and spaces, and say the letter names. They always follow in order and as long as you are on a given clef they are also always the same. So the first line of the Treble Clef, at the bottom is always E. On the Bass Clef, the bottom line is always a G. If the mnemonic is hard to remember right away, you can just say the letters as you read up from the first line, and alternating lines and spaces, just go in alphabet order (remembering the highest letter is a G so you start over with A every octave). Kind of line this: C, D, E, F, G -> A, B, C, D, E, F, G -> A, B, C, D.... and so on.

You might want to create a couple of index cards with the four memory tools to look at and keep it on the piano.

Treble Clef:
The lines are (bottom to top) E G B D F (Every Good Boy Does Fine)
The spaces spell F A C E (bottom to top)
Bass Clef:
The lines are (bottom to top) G B D F A (Good Boys Do Fine Always)
The spaces spell A C E G (bottom to top).

Finger numbering is not fixed in one place, and will depend on where on the keyboard the music is. So that is as much Art as it is Science. What doesn't change is what number represents a given finger. Thumbs are always 1, index are 2, middle fingers are 3, ring fingers are 4 and the little finger, or pinkie, are 5.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

apol0

Re: Stuck in Lesson 40

Post by apol0 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks!