So what's next?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
scirocco

Re: So what's next?

Post by scirocco » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:50 pm

I don't think it's any more sinister than just the way the internet has evolved. Like others here, I've old enough to have been around forums during the great old days when they were the facebook of the internet. But people our age are probably not really Playground Sessions core market. You only have to look at the song requests in the forum vs the music available to see that. PS have to put their limited support resources where it will give best bang for the buck (and getting drawing into long and complex forum discussions is probably not it.)

But I don't think you can let that bother you. Personally I just use PS for what it does (very well IMHO). Forum activity or not isn't why I signed up. There are other forums like Piano World that are still very active (although again it's not hard to see the age demographic at play there).

senderoff

Post by senderoff » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Curious...I just got started, although I've moved on from "yousician," which I really enjoy. I like my first impression with pgs, but am I understanding this forum correctly? After the Bootcamp, are there no more lessons? I will love playing songs, but I expected lessons too. Sorry for the newb question, but I would like to know. Thanks, Dave

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:43 pm

There are three Boot Camps. Rookie, Intermediate, and Advanced.

Then there are Courses that are unlocked as you progress through the Boot Camps.

Then there are the Songs. Lots of songs in varying difficulties.

Finally, they do add new lessons from time to time. There are always discussions about new boot camp and courses. The program is a work in progress.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

senderoff

Post by senderoff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:59 am

Sounds good to me! Thanks, I had signed up as a life member...don't want it all to end in a year! Hopefully they will expand into the Tom Waits school of music.

mariyastepanenko

Post by mariyastepanenko » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and feedback! It is true that the Forums started to get less attention from our team after the passing of our developer.. But! We are back on track and have made it our priority to be managing the Forums more actively!
To answer the original question, there is no right or wrong way. Some of our users combine the Bootcamp with the song arrangements from the start. Some tackle the Bootcamp first and get more comfortable playing with instruction before jumping to our song library. However, playing songs is definitely the place for practice! And as was mentioned earlier, it is ultimately the goal. So, starting with Rookie arrangements of your favorite songs and moving on to more difficult, Advanced Hard arrangements will definitely put to test everything you've been learning in the Bootcamp. You might have to revisit some lessons to refresh your memory, but repetition is muscle memory!

Paulopedia

Post by Paulopedia » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Having had a computer since the days of 300 baud acoustic modems and local BBSes, I prefer dedicated forums too. However, it only makes sense that the PGS team would focus on Facebook. Facebook has a huge user-base. And the PGS group on FB is more likely to catch the attention of people who aren't already members. Plus, judging by many of the post over there, many PGS members are not what you'd call technically savy. As bizarre as it seems to me, who used to live on USENET and IRC, there are some people who would be intimidated by an oldschool message board. But, FB is ubiquitous. They keep up with their grandchildren and whatnot on FB. So, it's within their comfort zone.

Mia

Post by Mia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:09 am

I think just learning chords for name sake is not important, ability to get a rhythm in mind is equally important. I can share a short trick which I use to use for improving my stumming.
Just mute the strings with the hand holding strings, and then start playing guitar as percussion on any song.. soon you will develop the skill to play rhythm of any song :D :D :D :D