have you used Hanon exercises?

General discussion about Playground Sessions Bootcamps
clif9710

have you used Hanon exercises?

Post by clif9710 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:45 am

I am about finished with rookie boot camp, but am not satisfied with the ability of my 4th and 5th fingers of both hands to match the greater strength and agility of fingers 1 and 2.

I happened to look at some books on piano playing that I have had for several years and came across "Hanon exercises", an entire series intended to build finger strength and agility. Exercises #1 and #2 are to scales played to help the 4th and 5th fingers, so I am going to be using them as a warm-up for my daily practice sessions.

Have any of you tried Hanon exercises? There is a web site https://www.hanon-online.com/ that offers them for free with downloadable PDF's that give you a printable copy.

scirocco

Re: have you used Hanon exercises?

Post by scirocco » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm

I learnt Hanon #1 in C major and was using it for a while. I think it’s okay, and it does work out fingers 4 and 5 more than regular scales do.

I sometimes run through it a couple of times as a warm up, but now that I’m onto the hands together scales for my grade level I kind of prefer to do those.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:31 am

I use the Hanon exercises for strengthening my ring finger and as scales practice. I've never really used the finger exercise sections beyond exercise #1, as just looking at them gave me a headache :D However, the book, to me, was invaluable in getting me started with the scales, and I think it probably helped with the #4 finger.

andrewwegierski

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Hanon exercises are a great supplement to Playground. As with any good teacher, it's in poor taste to claim to have all the answers. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy Playground more, and Hanon more, and vice versa!
Andrew Wegierski

Support Tech & Music Arranger
andrew@playgroundsessions.com

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Yes, they are great exercises BUT for me motivation is a real problem with these...

I think it helps to have a paper book available, they are really not expensive and it is a nice change from your computer display. If you search the forums for hanon there should be another discussion on this where I think I left an ISBN or a link to a cheap but complete edition.