How to complement Playground sessions?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Rafael_117

How to complement Playground sessions?

Post by Rafael_117 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Hey there,

I've been using the program for a week now and it seems cool but, I want to make sure I get as good as possible at the piano and I'm thinking of how to complement this software.

I'm going to get a music teacher so her/she can help me out with things that the software can detect like posture, anything else?

Been browsing this forum a bit and I'm also thinking of finding a way to practice scales, arpeggios.

Anything else?

andrewwegierski

Re: How to complement Playground sessions?

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am

As with any good teacher would tell you, no one can have all the right answers (and any teacher that tells you to never study with another one is a bad teacher!).

I'm thrilled you're enjoying Playground! So, in our video lessons by David Sides, his correct posture and hand positioning are definitely observable. But, it wouldn't hurt to have a few lessons with a piano teacher to make sure you're on the right track.

As for scales, chords, etc...we're focusing heavily on that right now through our "courses" in the app. Right now, there should be: One octave scales, two octave scales, both hands practice, 50 famous melodies, and coming soon - chords and reading music courses. These courses are unlockable within the app, and as long as you're making good progress in both the Bootcamp and the songs from the song store, you're bound to unlock them! (the specific requirements for this are supposed to be a surprise!)

So, yes, there's plenty of material within the Playground app to keep you busy and learning, but I would never advise against a compliment to the software. In fact, it would probably make Playground more enjoyable, and Playground would make your other study more enjoyable!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

EIS

Post by EIS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:20 am

No software program can take the place of a good piano teacher. There is much more to playing the piano then just hitting the right keys at the right time. My teacher (who has been teaching at the college for many years) said hitting the right keys at the right time is the easy part. She is so right. The dynamics, technique, and expression that go into a good piano performance is best taught by a good music teacher.

That being said, piano software like that being used by Playground Sessions can be invaluable in teaching notes, timing, and general music basics. The Playground Sessions software has the advantage of being there 24/7 for instructions on your time schedule. The lessons can also be reviewed as many times as needed. The software is also much cheaper then a teacher.

Bottom line: use both a teacher and piano software to achieve maximum results.

Earl Staley

scirocco

Post by scirocco » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:44 pm

I agree, a teacher is the single biggest thing you can do to complement the app. There are loads of things that it is easy to get wrong (and not realise they are wrong) if you don’t have a teacher to keep you on track. And things like dynamics and articulation that you won’t even know existed without a teacher.
That’s no fault of Playground Sessions; it’s just how it is. A computer app can only do so much.

alindsay55661

Post by alindsay55661 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 pm

I am looking for specific drills I can use to really focus on the treble and bass clef, or right and left hand. This would be sort of like what you have in courses, but I've worked through all those and they are entirely memorized at this point. I need way more drills, maybe even an option to randomize the drills. This way I can work my left hand / bass clef over and over until it becomes second nature. Drills are far faster than going through songs. Any plans for something like this? Or are there are other software solutions that offer this?

FatB

Post by FatB » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:11 pm

If you just want drills there are a ton on youtube, look for piano course or piano drills.
But, and Im just sharing the little that I know after about 2 months of course, I may read too much into it but the lessons are not random songs but chosen arrangements in increasing level of difficulty. I feel the increase in comfort in playing the exercise even after such a short time. I think they are well chosen for a slow but sure progression.
I get your point though, depends on wher you want to go and how much time you are willing to spend on it.
I've played with friends in a basement for 8 years now, learning by myself. We even did a show (non paying :)) in front of 200 people. I would use the capabilities of my keyboard to compensate for my like of playing. But I hit a ceiling and decided it was enough and got that course. It may not replace a teacher, but it's the next best thing I found, at an afordable price.
Good luck !
Stef
Je parle francais et anglais/I speak english and french
I use the iPad app with camera connector and a Kurzweil PC361

blispers

Post by blispers » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:13 am

andrewwegierski wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am
As for scales, chords, etc...we're focusing heavily on that right now through our "courses" in the app. Right now, there should be: One octave scales, two octave scales, both hands practice, 50 famous melodies, and coming soon - chords and reading music courses. These courses are unlockable within the app, and as long as you're making good progress in both the Bootcamp and the songs from the song store, you're bound to unlock them!
Aw Dang. I have unlocked everything but the two octave scales. I practice those on my own every day. Time to go back to BootCamp.