trying not to bang on the keys

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
clif9710

trying not to bang on the keys

Post by clif9710 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:07 pm

A big challenge for me is trying to avoid banging on the keys. I am so happy to have my fingers in the right places (I'm there - HIT IT!) that I don't pay attention to the dynamics of the piano. It's something you can appreciate when you hear a pro play. I find that only after I get the piece down fairly well, can I relax, realize I will hit the right keys and do it gently. This is a reason to spend a bit more if you buy an electronic piano to avoid the toy keyboards that give the same loudness to a key regardless of how hard it is pressed.

scirocco

Re: trying not to bang on the keys

Post by scirocco » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:22 am

You're so right. I've also started taking piano lessons with a proper teacher that has a regular acoustic piano. The hardest thing I've found to do is play it quietly and smoothly (and teachers are REALLY keen on this!)
I'd suggest having the volume up pretty loud on your digital. I had mine turned down too low to start with so was banging away at it quite hard. I got used to it and found it hard to unlearn the habit.

sw1tch73ch

Re: trying not to bang on the keys

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 am

This is a great point.

I have a little stereo amp I push the audio from the digital piano and the computer to from a mixer. There are times I have to play quietly. I do find it more difficult to moderate my "touch" during those sessions. It is wise to set the volume high and play moderately, rather than just bang on the keys. Of course some songs are meant to be played hard, but the piano in pianoforte means softly (and forte is Boldly or Loudly). That was the great invention of the Pianoforte keyboard - it could play with expression where the Harpsichord that preceded it could only be played at one 'volume" or velocity.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --