How to effectively use Playground Sessions / Bootcamp modules? Order of completion/ practice routine?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
CivicTV

How to effectively use Playground Sessions / Bootcamp modules? Order of completion/ practice routine?

Post by CivicTV » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi, I'm a music producer trying to improve my piano/ keyboard skills for songwriting, and becoming a better musician. I started Playground Sessiosn a couple weeks ago, but wanted to get some feedback about the best way to use it. I've almost completed the Rookie section of bootcamp with the numbering system enabled. Wondering if it's better to repeat the Rookie section without the number system, or should I move on to the Intermediate section?

Also, is it better to work through the additional Rookie courses like famous melodies, and both hands practice before jumping into the Intermediate track? Same question with regards to finger numbering system.

I figure the content creators, or people that have worked through this and achieved results would be able to provide a little guidance with best/ most effective approach. I know that goals are subjective, but wanted to hear from people with experience. Thanks

andrewwegierski

Re: How to effectively use Playground Sessions / Bootcamp modules? Order of completion/ practice routine?

Post by andrewwegierski » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi there,

My name is Andrew, and I arrange music and do tech support for Playground. I can certainly give you some pointers regarding how to effectively use Playground!

I think it's great that you've completed the Rookie section of the bootcamp, even with the fingerings. I would advise you to go through some of those lessons again (you don't have to do all of them) without the fingering numbers enabled, in order to see how well you've retained our fingering recommendations. After a short while, your fingers will begin to "know" what's the most efficient way to play a certain chord position or melodic passage. Furthermore, it'll enforce you to play musically and not pay so much attention to following the finger numbers!

I definitely think it would be cool to take a break from the Bootcamp and play through one of the rookie level courses, by all means. The courses are more focused on specific topics and they build on the knowledge you gained from the bootcamp. Then, jump into some intermediate level bootcamps!

In summary, the finger numbers are there to serve as an aid or guide. So it's best to play through lessons with and without them!

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

sw1tch73ch

Re: How to effectively use Playground Sessions / Bootcamp modules? Order of completion/ practice routine?

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:59 pm

I also recommend trying a couple of Rookie Songs. Playing songs you know is great fun, even the "Rookie" level songs. They are a good exercise of your Rookie Skills. Especially if you practice once or twice with numbers on to find the finger positions, but then switch over to neither numbers or letters to really push your skills.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Donka61

Post by Donka61 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Here is how I approach it. WHen working through the bootcamp lessons, I usually begins with the numbers, and then after the second or third section of a lesson move to the letters. Sometimes, I find myself having to go back and forth. Someone suggested elsewhere that it would be good to have an option that shows both numbers and letters, as an intermediary step. On some of the lessons, I even am able to do it without any numbers or letters, just the notes. Doing it this way, takes a little longer, but I think I am learning more that way.

postwick

Post by postwick » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm

I learned bass guitar years ago but made the mistake of learning using bass tab (similar to the finger numbers in PGS). I'm about half way through rookie boot camp on PGS and changed the numbers to notes after about the fifth lesson. It seems great in the beginning but it will become a crutch and hinder your learning.