Aim of lessons starting on different notes

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
iwilson16

Aim of lessons starting on different notes

Post by iwilson16 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi,

I’m new here, and have completed the first 14 or so boot camp lessons.

I was wondering what the aim was of all the different lessons that start on different notes? Jumping around the keyboard so much seems a lot for a beginner. Or is this just to introduce you to timing, note duration etc?

Why are there no scales in the lessons? I’d have thought learning a few easy scales to start with would be useful?

Thanks
Ian

PS. I’m approx grade 5 violin, so not everything is new to me.

andrewwegierski

Re: Aim of lessons starting on different notes

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi Ian,

Welcome to Playground! Thanks for engaging with us on the forums.

I wasn't part of the PG team when we wrote the Bootcamp, but I can certainly comment on the benefit of jumping around the keyboard. Once you learn the concept of a 5 finger position, it's good to realize that this concept is uniform across many different situations - so we applied it to different starting points - mostly around the sharp side of the circle of fifths - C G D A E B, etc. This keeps the lesson material fresh. Users are learning all the different applications of 5 finger positions, without really thinking about that fact.

On the topic of scales, Bootcamp lessons 59, 60, and 71 specifically address the C major scale / scale related topics. The reason we wait this long for scales is because of the complex nature of the pivot in both hands - especially because it happens at different times. Also, our goal with the bootcamp was to keep the introductory lessons as fun as possible - using chunks of real songs to apply technique concepts!
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Donka61

Re: Aim of lessons starting on different notes

Post by Donka61 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:12 pm

I too was frustrated because of all the different hand positions. But on the positive side it keeps the learner from becoming entrenched with always using the same fingers for notes. As we all know, learning to play the piano as learning to type where one is always using the same fingers for the the same notes. What I can especially appreciate is once I establish where my fingers are, moving from one note to another note is less about memorizing what finger goes with which keys, and more about the intervals between notes. Going up and down the scale is as easy as recognizing the patterns between notes. CAVEAT: I am still a newbie at this, so if I need correction, please let me know.

On a related matter (I might have to put this in the REQUEST NEW FEATURE section): It would be nice to have the ability to create COLLECTIONS (folders, playlists, etc). This way the user might create a folder for all the bootcamp lessons that start in the C position, and another one in the F position. That would go a long way in reviewing the lessons.