Bootcamp Lesson 69 One Direction - Story of my file

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Chris Aus

Bootcamp Lesson 69 One Direction - Story of my file

Post by Chris Aus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:51 am

Hi All,

Im fairy new to Playground and having lots of fun in the Bootcamp tutorials. I am stuck on lesson 69 with fingering techniques, in particular playing white and black keys and how my hand moves. Wondering if someone else has experienced the same or can help me out.

Bar 9 requires a B flat with suggested fingering to be the 1st finger of the left hand (left thumb). There is also a F with the 3rd finger and a D with the 5th.

Im finding it hard to reach up to the B flat after playing an F with my third finger. To make this work, is it good technique (correct) to play the F high up next to the black key of G flat so that my thumb can naturally rest on B flat?

Or with piano is it better to freely move my hand position up and across? or another way?

Sorry, silly question. But i think a video on incorporating white and black key playing would be very helpful.

Chris

andrewwegierski

Re: Bootcamp Lesson 69 One Direction - Story of my file

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi Chris,

This is a GREAT question!! I can certainly help you out.

What's going on in lesson 69 in the LH is a Bb triad hand position, in first inversion (with D on the bottom). The only difference is that instead of playing all 3 notes at once, you're playing them one at a time. I can assure you that the suggested fingerings are the best choice!

Yes, to accomplish this, it's pretty much necessary to play the D and F with your fingers high on the keys. This is perfectly fine, and is just the nature of the keyboard.

When I'm playing this exercise, I put my fingers on: D, E, F, G and Bb (5, 4, 3, 2, 1). That's my natural hand position. Start with placing your thumb on the Bb comfortably. Your middle finger will naturally rest on the F high on the keyboard.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com