I'd pity the human piano teacher with me as a student

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
clif9710

I'd pity the human piano teacher with me as a student

Post by clif9710 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:12 pm

A great thing about PS is the infinity patience of software. I'm in the advanced bootcamp and it's pretty slow going though still very enjoyable and I will prevail!

However, I go over the same part of a lesson a zillion times before mastering it. A human teacher would have stood up, pointed at the door and said "OUT!" by now, I'm sure.

Pohutukawa

Re: I'd pity the human piano teacher with me as a student

Post by Pohutukawa » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:28 pm

I feel the same way. I also feel like the absence of shame and humiliation that comes with not having a human hear my efforts really makes the learning a whole lot more fun.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Once thing the human teacher will look for is improvement, week to week. Plus the human teacher doesn't sit there watching you the entire time you are practicing. They give you the lesson, work with you to make sure you understand what the "goal" of the piece is, and then send you off into the blue to practice, hopefully for many hours a day (you're at the advanced level, they'd probably expect a minimum of two hours a day, more as you can, in "one-on-one" lessons). So they expect to only see you one out of fifteen or twenty hours (or more) of practice. Of course if you spent twenty hours practicing it wrong, you won't have improved much.

Playground Sessions is there every minute and keeps you more or less on track for all of it.

THAT is the real beauty of Playground Sessions, it helps you practice correctly and not waste twenty or thirty hours practicing it wrong. The patience of a saint is just a side benefit! ;-)
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

clif9710

Post by clif9710 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:19 pm

That's very true. Nothing is worse that practicing hard only to find that you've mastered an error.