Rookie needs guidance

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Lend27

Rookie needs guidance

Post by Lend27 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:27 pm

I just started yesterday.
I have completed 27 lessons through Let it Be in Bootcamp.
I think I am now at Level 13.
A couple of questions:
1. Should I be going slower through the lessons? I make sure I score 100 on each exercise before moving on to the next. I am retired and have ample time to spend practicing.
2. When should I be moving on to sight reading notes versus numbers?
3. Should I keep going in Bootcamp or should I spend some time playing the unlocked Rookie songs?

Thanks!
Len

andrewwegierski

Re: Rookie needs guidance

Post by andrewwegierski » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi Len,

Thanks for posting and I can definitely give you some guidance on that.

1. You should go at your own pace. I'll say that as long as you're getting 100% and you feel like not only can you play the exercise perfectly, but you understand the concepts behind it, you should keep moving!

2. I think you should sight read without numbers now, since you're getting 100% quickly. Toggle back and forth between numbers and no numbers. Test yourself to see the muscle memory development in your fingers.

3. I think you should definitely spend time playing Rookie level song arrangements. The point of the bootcamp is to give you the skills and knowledge you need to play songs! Start applying it!

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Lend27

Re: Rookie needs guidance

Post by Lend27 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Thank you Andrew.
By the way, I really like what Harry Connick Jr has done with the lesson scheme. The placement of the new lessons is perfect within the curriculum, and I think it places more emphasis on sight reading and theory in the right locations.
This alone has convinced me to sign up for a full year.
Many thanks!
Len