Keyboard, computer, and table setup

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
dragonryder

Keyboard, computer, and table setup

Post by dragonryder » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi guys!

I've just received my keyboard and started the bootcamp sessions (no experience at all with any instrument). I'm absolutely LOVING it :D, but I'm really struggling with the setup. I've tried putting the keyboard on a long table with my laptop to my left (I'm left handed, so it's easier), but 20 mins later, it was pretty straining on my neck. I then tried putting the laptop behind the keyboard, which is ok but I have to press "play" on the lessons and very quickly get my fingers back on the keyboard so that I don't miss any keys.

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a dual level table, where I can put the keyboard on the bottom and laptop on the top, slightly set back? I'd love to hear about how other people that use a laptop have set up their space. I have a tablet, but really don't want to use it because I love the size of the laptop screen when looking at the lessons.

Ideas/thoughts/improvisations would be SO much appreciated!

Thanks guys :P
..................................................................................................................
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you taste crunchy and good with ketchup

andrewwegierski

Re: Keyboard, computer, and table setup

Post by andrewwegierski » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:07 am

Hi there,

I know some of our users have dual level tables. A great place to check would be our instagram page. We feature user setups a lot on there!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjp6lEHHhXl/
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:51 am

dragonryder, you dont need to press Play, use extremities on your keyboard instead. (the first key on the left + last key on the right at same time, regardless how many keys you have).
About the setup, I have 13 inch notebook in the middle, raised up by a few books (about 10cm or so) to comfortable level. But still it is not good and permanent solution. Pain in neck is present :(

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Edit: Forum software decided to remove most of the photos. Great.
dragonryder wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:46 pm
I then tried putting the laptop behind the keyboard, which is ok but I have to press "play" on the lessons and very quickly get my fingers back on the keyboard so that I don't miss any keys.

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a dual level table, where I can put the keyboard on the bottom and laptop on the top, slightly set back? I'd love to hear about how other people that use a laptop have set up their space.
Hi, this set-up works really well.

I have made a small adaptation to the music stand on top of the piano (Yamaha P115): I drilled two small holes close to the piano top. To these holes I attached only the rubberized bottom part of this after bending the eyelets open with pliers.

It perfectly grabs my macbook's lower edge putting the screen upright against the music stand, and it's rock solid. If I'm not using my laptop, the paper stand is still perfectly functional for books, and the adaptation/attchment doesn't stand out nor does it impede any of the piano's functionality or ergonomics.
IMG_1300.jpeg
Overview
IMG_1300.jpeg (339.79 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
IMG_1301.jpeg
Laptop on laptop stand
IMG_1301.jpeg (602.24 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
IMG_1304.jpeg
Music on music stand
IMG_1304.jpeg (574.26 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
IMG_1302.jpeg
Close up of laptop stand
IMG_1302.jpeg (496.17 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
IMG_1303.jpeg
Rear view of attachment to music stand
IMG_1303.jpeg (1003.4 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
Let me know if you need more information.

dragonryder

Post by dragonryder » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:34 pm

Oh my gosh, these suggestions and modifications are WONDERFUL!! And I had no idea I could use the extremities on my keyboard... duh. I don't know why I didn't even think of that. Thanks so much guys :D

Based on what I've read here, I've attached a picture of what I've done. I also figured out how to have the sound from both my laptop and the keyboard come out through one set of headphones, which works great.
3529697002029293440.jpg
3529697002029293440.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
..................................................................................................................
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you taste crunchy and good with ketchup