Notes and fingering numbers

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Tommy2tone

Notes and fingering numbers

Post by Tommy2tone » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:37 pm

I am struggling with the thought of turning off the fingering numbers but I know it is something I should do. I feel the rookie bootcamp lessons are getting me more comfortable with timing and playing notes. I am feeling more positive about the possibilities but when I turn off the numbers I progress so slowly it is not fun. I have been taking the note reading course and feel some progress from that. I would like some input as to weather I should turn the numbers off and struggle through it now or keep enjoying the lessons and figure it out later. Thanks in advance. - Tom

Lend27

Re: Notes and fingering numbers

Post by Lend27 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 pm

I am in the same boat.
After weighing all of the options, I am going to continue the Rookie Bootcamp lessons using finger numbers, but also taking the note reading course and using a Udemy course called “Read Music Fast”.
I also go back and do some of the earlier Bootcamp lessons again with just the note names turned on.
That way I still have fun, and I am making a dent in the learning curve. Having fun motivates me to continue on, and I do know at some point the notes will just “click” and I’ll be able to play with the notes on.
Good Luck!

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 am

What I would do, if I were starting Rookie Boot Camp again is to start each lesson exercise with numbers on and get the feel for where they go. Then switch to the letter names to learn the letters I'm playing better, then when I'm reaching 100% scores (per exercise) turn the letters off too. Just play from the notation (your fingers will remember which one does what). You'll get the benefit of learning appropriate fingering with the numbers, reinforce note recognition with the letters, and practice actually what the notes are without the helping letters and numbers. They work together that way.

One of our mantras is "Don't practice until you get it right! Practice until you don't get it wrong!" - that might be exaggeration a little, put you should make sure you do get many 100% scores in a row before you consider a lesson mastered. And even then, know that you'll have room to improve.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Tommy2tone

Post by Tommy2tone » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks for the feedback. I've only been using Playground for 2 weeks but feel I might actually be getting somewhere. I think I will post weekly updates to keep me accountable. I don't want to loose the passion to practice.