Half way through Rookie Beginner - I think my reading is slow

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
koskow

Half way through Rookie Beginner - I think my reading is slow

Post by koskow » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:25 pm

I'm not sure if I'm learning from reading, or just noticing the patterns between the notes on the staff. I seem to do fine when I get my hands in the right position and can follow along, but if you were to stop the song on any note and ask me what it was, I would have to start counting from the bottom - E,G,B,D,F... Oh, yeah, it's an F.

For those who are from scratch, but are farther along than me - is this normal? At what point did you feel comfortable knowing the locations of the notes on the staffs? I'm at 44 Rookie Beginner.

And the bass staff, don't even get me started, I know where C is. Then I kind of know ACEG...

I'm concerned that I should be better at reading by now.

Thoughts?

sw1tch73ch

Re: Half way through Rookie Beginner - I think my reading is slow

Post by sw1tch73ch » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:34 pm

I built up landmarks in the staves.

First is the bottom line of each staff. E on Treble and G on Bass. learn those. The mnemonic helps at the start. But you have to really learn those notes on those lines. Also find them on the piano and mentally attach that key to that line.

Next is the top line of each staff. F on Treble and A on Bass. Again, link, mentally the key on the piano and the line on the staff.

Next I start putting landmarks in the middle. You could use B in the Treble or D in the Bass. But I like to change up and find the "Three" C notes - the second space from the top in Treble and the second from the Bottom in Bass, and the one smack in the middle between the two staves - the famous Middle C. And find them on the keyboard.

You won't actually learn all seven of these, I mean really learn them, in one sitting. Take you time and learn them over time. Each lesson in the bootcamp, take a moment to identify them before your practice.

Then expand your landmarks as you get proficient in the "old"ones. Space them out a bit from the notes you already have learned. It will still take time as you learn each new pair. I'm currently out to the Two C's on Ledger lines OUTSIDE of the two staves, the one two ledger below the Bass Clef and the one two lines above the Treble Clef. Also remember, as you go, that the notes immediately above or below the landmarks you have down will be alphabetically the next or previous note.

And remember, there are only seven letters to remember, and just a couple of examples of each note in each staff. There is a pattern that you will eventually pick up.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

BrutalRage

Post by BrutalRage » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 am

I have the same problem.
What I am doing now is start from the beginning (right hand songs) and just play them with only the notes.
Then I mix it up and go back to rookie tour with numbers.
Most difficult for me is reading the notes and translating that to piano.
Just try to remember that in your brain the connections need to be made.
Thats why they tell you you have to practice everyday for at least 15 min instead of 1 day hours.
Damn I love this program.
Hard but when you make it you feel, VICTORY

koskow

Post by koskow » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm now at 75 of Rookie (And the fingering on that is tough!) - and I can tell I'm getting better at knowing the notes. I'm starting to use these landmarks as you mention, and that is helping. I guess it is just time. I was thinking about highschool trumped lessons, and how I was learning one staff, and even so, it was a year before I was comfortably reading the music (and not much in the sharps and flats, if anything at all). Well, fast forward 25 years and I am learning all over.

I think that the progression of the lessons is good, and pushing me to work and work and work - with a lot of fun songs.

I guess it will all come together in time. I also realize that I'm probably never going to be a concert pianist, so I need to remember that my goal is to be a little better than competent enough to read and play by sight.