Counting with Rookie Bootcamp lesson "Clocks"

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
mjnornan

Counting with Rookie Bootcamp lesson "Clocks"

Post by mjnornan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:52 pm

Hello! I understand the basics behind counting. However, I'm having a hard time putting that into practice for this lesson. It is in 4/2, and that makes sense until you throw in the quarter notes along with half notes in the main melody. I know how the song sounds and I can play it, but I can't seem to make myself count consistently with the extra notes in that measure. Any tips/suggestions? Thanks!

sw1tch73ch

Re: Counting with Rookie Bootcamp lesson "Clocks"

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:23 pm

You've probably heard people counting "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and". In this case, with 4/2 - the Half Notes get a full beat - a "1 and" and Quarter Notes get half a beat - so the "1" or the "and" or a "2" ... and so on. So "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" is eight Quarter Notes. You might notice that there are dotted bar lines - they divide the four counts into 2 half notes, but you still can count to 4 to fit within the solid bar lines.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

mjnornan

Post by mjnornan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:57 am

Hey thanks for the reply.

So in this case, the measure is (not sure how this will come across in text, it's Rookie lesson 54, part 6, measure 9+)..

quarter - half - quarter tie whole

The count in says "1, 2, 3, 4" which makes me think I should be counting that way, 1, 2 before the dotted bar, 3, 4 after the dotted bar, which is fine before those measures. Which if I'm starting off on a quarter note, if I count in with 1, I'm already behind because it only gets a half beat. So should I be doing "and 1" or some variation?

mjnornan

Post by mjnornan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:02 am

I went back and did this in slow tempo, and I think I see what you are saying now. I'm guessing I should be doing like the below?--

quarter - half - quarter tie whole
1 - and 2 - and - 3 and 4 and

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:09 pm

That is an interesting "rhythm" in that lesson. Yeah, the quarter is the "1", the half the "and 2" then the quarter is "and" - then the dotted line, and of course the tie means don't lift from the quarter and just let it play through the whole note and count the "3 and 4 and".

So I think you've got it.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --