Fingering

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Lesco

Fingering

Post by Lesco » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Good afternoon all. I'm new to PGS as well as playing the piano. I'm in middle of the Rookie Boot camp and doing fairly well. ( in my opinion LOL)

The problem I'm having is using the correct fingers when playing. Example: as apposed to hitting "C" with my left pinky I'm hitting it with my left ring finger. Are there any tips on how to use the correct finger? Does it actually make a difference? Or do I just need to practice, practice, practice/

Thanks in advance,

Have a great weekend

Jeff

andrewwegierski

Re: Fingering

Post by andrewwegierski » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:13 pm

You got it. Practice, practice, practice and hold yourself accountable to going very slowly and always using the correct finger.

Regards
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

blispers

Post by blispers » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:17 pm

Sorry but I disagree with Andrew. Fingering in PGS to me is an excellent starting suggestion. But, I have modified it frequently for what I am comfortable with. For example.

If you have large hands you can stretch instead of jump.
To move hand position while holding down a key I will change my finger (i.e. shifting from a 5 to 2 finger)
Or to play fast 16th with the same finger I will go 5-4-3-2 fingering

Just my opinion.

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:44 am

@blispers: you are actually not disaggreing with Andrew.

He says you need practice, practice, practice (and maybe some practice) to get the "correct" fingering. Whatever "correct" means.

PGS delivers some pretty good suggestions (even in "normal" sheetmusic there are sometimes suggestions for starting positions and changes), but that doesn't mean, that that is "correct". In the Rookie course I would try to stick with the fingering of PGS, and for example for scales it's really the correct fingering. But apart from that... you have to hit the right keys at the right time. How you do that... nobody cares. The "correct" fingering just minimizes how much you have to move *your* hand and contort *your* fingers.