Rookie Final Review: Lesson #93: Can you feel the love

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
ghunter91

Rookie Final Review: Lesson #93: Can you feel the love

Post by ghunter91 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:39 pm

I decided to learn piano/keyboard this year and impulsively boyught one in February.

I started using Play Sessions about a month ago and I have breezed through the Rookie Bootcamp with relative ease.

I am on The Final Review with The Lion King's Can you feel the love and I just cannot do it. RH and LH seperately are fine, but when trying to combine, I just crumble.

Have I just hit a complete mental block? Or is this ridiculously harder (By a lot) than every single other lesson in the Rookie section?

Additionally, some tips would be greatly appreciated before I have a nervous breakdown!

Thanks!

andrewwegierski

Re: Rookie Final Review: Lesson #93: Can you feel the love

Post by andrewwegierski » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:58 am

Go really slow. I mean, really, really slow. Focus on the associations between each hand. I probably take it too far, but you can categorize each instance in the music as one of the following, when both hands are playing:

-Hands are moving in the same direction
-Hands are moving in the opposite direction
-One hand moves while the other one remains at its current position.

And you can do the same thing for rhythm, as well. Really slow, careful study helps. Before you know it,you'll get it.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

ghunter91

Post by ghunter91 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:51 pm

Thank you sir.

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:47 am

@ghunter91: I started out the same. Wanted to learn the piano for a long time, eventually bought one and started with PGS. Rookie was almost a breeze. But not some songs. The last two are ridiculously more difficult than anything else before. But it's a very good place for a real challenge!

Go slow. Learn it with a low BPM. Whenever I encounter a more complicated piece (I'm currently stuck at Superman in the Intermediate Bootcamp), I just learn it on a slow BPM. Then up the BPM by 10 (no accompainments, just metronome in this case). I learn it there. If it's OK, I up the BPM by 10 again. If it's too much, than BPM 5 down, etc. Until I arrive at the full speed.

I'm always astonished how well this works. Even, when you read this forum, almost always the first suggestion is: GO SLOW.