When to turn off fingering annotation

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
firefly_t

When to turn off fingering annotation

Post by firefly_t » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:01 am

Hi,

I have been getting back into play piano again after stopping for a few years, I previously played at ABRSM grade 3.

I have used Playground Sessions for a month now and I am half way through the rookie bookcamp lessons. I have found myself reading the fingering annotations for the notes rather than actually reading the notes at times. I have also been going through the Rookie sightreading lessons too.

What are your thoughts at what point do you turn off the fingering annotations in the lessons, please?

Your thoughts and any other tips are much appreciated!

pavel

Re: When to turn off fingering annotation

Post by pavel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:23 am

firefly_t wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:01 am
What are your thoughts at what point do you turn off the fingering annotations in the lessons, please?
turn it off immediately, really, no joke, sooner the better. For absolute beginners its ok to keep it till build reading skill (maybe 1-2 months), even though I would rather spend intensive 14 days learning how to read notes then 6 months waisting time in fingering annotation (letters same as numbers)

firefly_t

Post by firefly_t » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:31 am

Thank you, that makes sense :)

Lucky I have turned it off at the point in which I am halfway through the rookie Boot camp and now doing both hand practices, so no benefit in going back and redoing lessons I think.

Moreless

Post by Moreless » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 am

I keep the fingering turned on and edit the numbers to whatever i'd like them to be if they aren't what I like.

Westman77

Post by Westman77 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 pm

i dunno ... pgs is kinda strange with finger numbering.
it helps alot at the start but when you try play other stuff without it you´re lost.
when i turn it off i struggle to play anything right here.

when i go to another app without finger numbers i can play everything fine (marvel).
when i try here in pgs i can´t.
i have no clue why but i just can´t play here lol.
Bloody Beginner - Kawai CA-58

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Right after playing a lesson with the numbers on, play it again with them off. If you have trouble with them off, spend more time with them off. They aren't supposed to be how to play the song, but where to put the hands. Once you know where the hands go, turn them off and practice until you can play that way. It will be the best way to get past needing them.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

firefly_t

Post by firefly_t » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:11 am

Following feedback, I turned off fingering annotations straight away. It took a couple of goes to get into the swing of it and out of the habit, but has been great over the last month!
I am over 3\4 of the way through the rookie course so far.

eichenberg

Post by eichenberg » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:49 am

I also turned it off immediatly. but now when learning some songs i need them in the beginning to see their suggestion for the hand position changes. do you others also do not use it for this and just figure the best fingering options out for yourself or how you do it?

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 am

My 2¢: I try to figure out the fingering myself, turn on the fingering for double-checking and/or learning, and turn it off again, before I play it "for real".

firefly_t

Post by firefly_t » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:48 am

When I was previously taught by my piano teacher she would mark fingers on notes which I struggled or on difficult passages, this worked really well. It would be great if we could do this in the software as this would make sense.

I did see sometime ago some mention about a new version of the software, but I am not sure where that is.

That sounds like a good idea to turn on the fingering to double-check and confirm your thinking.