When to turn off fingering annotation

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
MiddleC

Re: When to turn off fingering annotation

Post by MiddleC » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:58 pm

I was working on 5 Finger Position, Left Hand, exercise 7 last night and this morning.

I am picking up reading the notes (at least in the first octave) with my right hand, having had accordion lessons 55 years ago. But the left hand is another story.

A main goal for me is to get to where I can read the music, so I don't like using the numbers. Last night I tried with key name instead of numbers, and also with no notation. I did horrible on both.

So on that exercise, I find myself relying on the numbers. I suppose that ultimately, over time, I'll be able to read them. I'll keep working at it :D

lindamcilroy3

Post by lindamcilroy3 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:41 pm

How do tunn off fingering anotation?

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:20 pm

In the picture attached, you will see now to turn numbering on, key annotation, or neither.

Hmmm....seems I can't upload a jpg file for some reason. I get a message Temporary folder could not be found or is not writable. The image file you tried to attach is invalid.

So, lelt me describe it: Look at the tools at the top of the music exercise. You will notice to the right a magnifying glass (I presume for search), the the left of that are a group of 4 icons: a note with a number over it, a note with the letter a over it, and just a note. You have probably guessed by now then how to do it, but I'll list it just in calse:
Click on the note with th 1 to turn on finger positioning
Click on the note with the A to see letter designations
Click the note only for no annotation of any kind

Twiggles

Post by Twiggles » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:48 pm

sw1tch73ch wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:47 pm
Right after playing a lesson with the numbers on, play it again with them off. If you have trouble with them off, spend more time with them off. They aren't supposed to be how to play the song, but where to put the hands. Once you know where the hands go, turn them off and practice until you can play that way. It will be the best way to get past needing them.
This is a great idea!!! Thanks!

Twiggles

Post by Twiggles » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:50 pm

FlatPanda wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 am
My 2¢: I try to figure out the fingering myself, turn on the fingering for double-checking and/or learning, and turn it off again, before I play it "for real".
Another great idea! Thanks!