Help with technique

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
qyjong

Help with technique

Post by qyjong » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:14 pm

When doing the exercises that use all five fingers, I notice when I press Middle C with my thumb or finger 1, my other four fingers lift off the keys. Then I sometimes have trouble finding the keys by feel again. My question is, do I need to work on trying to keep all five fingers touching the keys the whole time? Or are they supposed to lift off the keys? The videos didn't really clarify that. Thanks!

Cooksmack

Re: Help with technique

Post by Cooksmack » Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 pm

When I briefly took lessons in-person I was doing the same thing constantly and she always reminded me to stop. If it was 50 years ago she would have hit me with her ruler. I think it is important to be able to keep them on the keys while being dexterous enough to raise and lower them strongly and accurately enough to play the notes the way they are supposed to be played (soft/hard). I think it just comes with practice and then you learn when it's appropraite to lift them and move them around. That's my experience as a complete rookie, maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

SJunior22

Re: Help with technique

Post by SJunior22 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 am

Hi qyjong!

Based on what you posted, it would appear that you keep tension in your hand as you play. My advice is for you to keep your hands as relaxed as possible. I dont rest my fingers on the keys, I merely keep them touching the keys so I know where they are on the scale and ready.

Also, it may be that your wrists are too low. Raise your wrists and your fingers will naturally "rest" on the keys. Keep your wrists at that level to where you dont lift any fingers regardless any of the other fingers playing a note.

I would also reccommend practicing all of the scales as a warm up to help you learn by touch where the keys are. Hope these tips help!

Good luck and enjoy your journey!