plateauing

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
jwonch

plateauing

Post by jwonch » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:30 am

I keep plateauing but what do I do about it?

Also how do I learn to play by ear, or without sheet music?

SJunior22

Re: plateauing

Post by SJunior22 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi jwonch!

If you mean "plateauing" by you're not learning anything new that you dont know already, then I can answer both of your questions by reccommending you start or join a band. If you have a diverse repetoire that you can bring to a band, I'm sure you'll learn to play without sheet music and train your ear by playing off of the rest of the members in the band. You will likely be expected to compose and know your basic music theory concepts to creating a groove and such.

If you mean "plateauing" by you're burning out alot; Then I'd advise you take a short break (a week or 2 max) and review your goals and the steps you are taking to get there. Revise your expectations and give yourself a little slack, then come back to the piano and go from there. I still reccommend you look into starting or joining a band which could bring in some inspiration and energy to keeping you playing. Perhaps, also look into composition and interpretations. You can learn to write your own grooves and/or interpret your favorite songs into your own compositions.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best on your journey!