Confused about the time sig and count...

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
MiddleC

Confused about the time sig and count...

Post by MiddleC » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:39 pm

One thing that I have trouble with is when the time signature is 4 over 2. (I don't think I've been through an exercise about time signatures yet. If I have, it is totally gone from my head :o ).

So, for example, I'm doing an exercise with the sig of 4 over 2. So, the intro to go is 4 beats, But then the measure only last for 2 beats. Counting to 4 when only 2 beats are in the measure throws me off. So, I've been counting 1,2,1,2,. But I still get throuwn off, especially if there are 4 quarter notes in the measure.

Maybe I should try to find a lesson on the time signature.

Anyone have any suggestions?

FlatPanda

Re: Confused about the time sig and count...

Post by FlatPanda » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:14 am

Hi MiddleC

No worries, you'll get there! There is a block of lessons in the Rookie Bootcamp about counting and time signatures: lessons 36-39.

But until then a quick summary: the number on the top says "how many of the time units are in one measure", the number on the bottom says "what is our time unit". See more here: https://www.dacapoalcoda.com/42-time-signature-example

In the case of 4/2: there are 4 units in one measure, and our unit is a half-note (1/2). I.e. a measure is 2 whole notes OR 4 half-notes OR 8 quarters OR 16 eights OR any combination thereof, which is in sum equal to 4 half-notes.

What may confuse you: in playground session there is a dotted barline in the middle of the measures, when counting in 4/2. This is meant as a helper, in order so you can follow the music easier. The methodical thinking behind it is: in 4/2 you won't have as many eight- or sixteenth notes, which could be confusing (or seem formidable) for beginners. But the downside is that in 4/2 you can have looooong measures. Thus, they subdivide it with a dotted barline. The definition of a dotted barline usually is: "Subdivides long measures into shorter segments for ease of reading, usually according to natural rhythmic subdivisions.", which is exactly what's happening here: you get 4/2 measures, divided into 2 times 2/2 sub-measures with a dotted barline.

Hope this helps.

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:34 am

Thank you. I will also check out the lessons you mentioned.

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 pm

@FlatPanda...I'm just getting started today on my lessons, and I see what you were talking about. You were right, the dotted line looked to me like there were more measures. I should be less confused now. :D

DaveS

Post by DaveS » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:28 pm

Thanks to MiddleC for asking that and to FlatPanda for the answer. I hadn’t noticed that one of the bar lines was dotted either.

dclinton02126

Post by dclinton02126 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:39 pm

I'm just starting but it's awesome to see people in the chat taking time to walk people through the nuances.

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Just another tidbit that can be confusing.

So, from answers above, my impression that a full measure would be delineated halfway through with the dotted line, and end of full measure it is indicated with a solid line (someone correct me if that is wrong).

So, I see in some of the videos that the instructor is referring to a half measure as a measure. So if he says "Counting over 4 measures...", it is really counting over 4 half measures.