Backgroun beat, ie. maybe drums, off beat occasionally?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
MiddleC

Backgroun beat, ie. maybe drums, off beat occasionally?

Post by MiddleC » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:28 pm

I have had a couple exercises I've worked through that I've had a hard time keeping beat when played at full speed which then includes the accompaniement.

The second one I encountered today, and I did do better.

So, I'm wondering, given I've only encounted my counting problem (while accompaniment is playing) a couple times, I'm wondering if maybe in fact the beat from that is off count, or if one of the instruments, say drums, is off beat.

Has anyone run into that? Or is it just part of the learning curve I'm experiencing?

SJunior22

Re: Backgroun beat, ie. maybe drums, off beat occasionally?

Post by SJunior22 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:29 am

Hello MiddleC!

What specific lesson with the background drums appears to be "off-beat"?

Here's another way of shortening the learning curve - focus what you need to play around the drums instead of depending the drums being on the "2 and 4" beat. Speaking as a long-time drummer (for over 35 years now), drummers dont always hit the snare on the 2 and 4 beat specifically.

It's what they call in the biz "quantizing" - where you plant the snare drum beat right on the 2 and 4. When drummers hit the snare outside of those beats, its what is known as "ghost notes/beats", also they might be playing a "drum fill" just before the next measure of music begins.

Sorry if this stuff just bore you to death; the moral of this post is that not all musicians are going to be on the "2 and 4", so dont depend on it. Focus on whats being played and when (this is where your sense of rhythm and timing has to be strong). Make sure you have your "counting" down cold (your whole life should revolve around a metronome til you hear it ticking in your sleep). Dont worry if your counting isnt strong now - just make it a daily part of your life. When you're away from the piano, listen to your favorite songs and try to count over them. Naturally, you might listen to the drummer and count off of that. Just remember, they dont always hit that snare drum on the "2 and 4".

Hope there was something in this post that was of use. Keep on keeping on!

MiddleC

Re: Backgroun beat, ie. maybe drums, off beat occasionally?

Post by MiddleC » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I think you nailed it: the drum not being on the same beat.

I think I did quite a bit better on the second one that I ran into. Hearing accompaniment on a different beat from what I"m counting is very distracting. Your answer at least let me know that in fact that may be happening, and is normal...and that I need to keep on keepin' on :D

My counting is actually very goodo, albeit if nothing distracting me (like an instrument on a different beat). Just part of the learning curve.