Am I confused?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
MiddleC

Am I confused?

Post by MiddleC » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:51 pm

In Rookie Bootcamp, I am working on Lesson 47, exercise # 5. I decided to have the system play it for me, and either I am confused (most likely), or the playback timing is wrong.

I haven't had luck bringing pictures into this forum, or I would put one here. But the issue is, it is 4/2 time signature. I'm thinking that means 4 beats to a measure, and the half note gets the beat.

I interpret, for example, the first measure (made up of two with a dotted line between) has a half note, getting one beat, and a connector (I forget what it's called) to what I interpret to be a whole note. So betweek the two it should get 3 beats. But when the system plays it back it gives 1 beat to the half note and 1 beat to the whole note.

Am I interpreting which type of note they are wrongly; misunderstanding the time signature; or is the system playing it back wrong?

FlatPanda

Re: Am I confused?

Post by FlatPanda » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:46 am

Lesson 47, #5 is "Prelude in C", Coordination 1. Is that correct?

In case yes, your interpretation is correct: the first key played is middle c, with you left, and one half note later E an octave above with your right. Both are held for their own duration and the duration of the extra whole note because of the tie (what you called "connector").

I can understand your confusion, when playing back with accompaniments. Try playing back without accompaniments, at me then the playback is 100% correct, something like: C, E, -, -, C, F, -, -, B, F, -, -

When listening to the playback with the accompaniments, I understand how your ear can get confused (the notes held are repeated in the accompaniments, instead of being played again by the system).

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Yes, that is the correct exercise.

I am playing it back w/o accompaniments. What I here is in the first half of the measure is Left hand C for 2 beats, while the right hand E plays for 1 beat in that first half measure. In the second half measure, for 2 beats, the way I interpret it is both C and E sholuld play for 2 beats. But they are both plalying for ONLY the first of the 2 beats.

Speaking of your comment: "the first key played is middle c, with you left, and one half note later E an octave above", That E is a whole note, is it not? It should hold for 2 counts, wouldn't it?

Are you not hearing it that way?

FlatPanda

Post by FlatPanda » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:50 pm

Huh, now I hear what you mean. Yes, the tied whole notes are cut off too early in the playback, you are correct.

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:52 am

Thank you for your help. It is appreciated.