Fast tempo=<100%

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
MiddleC

Fast tempo=<100%

Post by MiddleC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:16 pm

The timing evaluation that the program exercises, for me, is extremely precise. When I'm playing a fast exercise such as my current one, #51 on Rookie Boot Camp, Girl Crush, hlehivj had a tempo of 156 (or very close to that) and I'm having difficulty hitting every key throughout the exercise. Without an error noted.

It seems to expect the key press faster than I think it should. In any event I end up hitting it barely later or barely early. 100% seems am impossibility. If I focus on really hard on the timing to get it close enough for the program I end up hitting wrong keys.

I'm starting to move on after a couple in a row in the 90s.

EFlatMajor

Re: Fast tempo=<100%

Post by EFlatMajor » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:28 pm

To be honest, you probably just need more practice. You don't have to use my psychotic method where you don't let something go until you have perfected it - multiple times, but be wary of the slippery slope as your definition of what is good enough might change.

You don't need pinpoint accuracy with PGS. There is a built in zone for what is "close enough" to earn a green note. Getting in that zone is the goal. You can make that zone larger in the advanced settings - I don't know which one you'll have to RTFM to find it. I highly recommend that you do not do it, as that change applies to the entire program. You'll be getting green notes and not really know how well you are playing.

Anyway it is up to you. Have a good Thanksgiving if you celebrate that and good luck.

SJunior22

Post by SJunior22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:42 am

Hi MiddleC!

I touched on this in my post,
"How I overcome difficult lessons..". Where I think it could serve you here is to listen to the actual song over and over (pull it up in youtube or wherever). Another tip is that the pattern in the challenge (last lesson) repeats itself after 20 measures. Perhaps focus only on the first 20 measures and get that down 100%. You can select the 20 measures and put it on repeat (even have the right hand and left hand icons active while you play so you can anticipate and match til you can play it all on your own). Once you have those 20 measures down cold, you shouldnt have any problems completing the lesson challenge scoring 100%.

If you suspect lag, the quick way to determine that is to press any key on your piano meanwhile looking at the corresponding key in Playground. That key should show an immediate indication of the key pressed. If there's obvious lag, goto Edit > Configure MIDI keyboard and run through troubleshooting there (I think all it does is recalibrate the app with the piano).

Hope this helps and keep on keepin' on!

MiddleC

Post by MiddleC » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:43 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll follow suggestions. Much appreciated.