More advanced bootcamp lessons please

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Anne

More advanced bootcamp lessons please

Post by Anne » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm

I've completed most of the advanced section, and have pretty much reached the end of Playground's usefulness for me, with 7 months left on my annual membership. I wasn't a beginner to start with, so my needs may not be typical of most users. What I'm looking for, in particular, are lessons in comping or accompanying, especially in pop or rock music; that is, I want to be able to play 2-hand chords when someone else is handling the melody, or when I'm singing the song. Is there anyone else out there who would like to know how to do this?

FlatPanda

Re: More advanced bootcamp lessons please

Post by FlatPanda » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:11 am

Hi Anne

I'd suggest looking for songs with difficulty "Advanced", which you would like to play. With an annual membership, you should get 5 free songs each month (and for each 5 songs finished with 3 stars, I think that's 95% or more, you get an additional free song).

What you mentioned: playing the piano as an accompaniment, when someone else is singing: I don't think that you will find many (if any) such songs in PGS. Any contemporary song, which I know in the software, is an arrangement for solo piano.

Anne

Post by Anne » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Thanks, Flat Panda! Yes, that's what I've found: tunes are for solo piano. I want to be able to accompany myself, but at this point PG Sessions is not the place to learn that, and I wish it was! Thank you for your response, in any case.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:59 am

I believe there was talk of doing Accompaniment as a Course. Something to remember is as it is now, Playground is primarily learning the basics of playing and reading music, so it hasn't branched into Accompaniment styles. Hopefully when the course is developed there is discussion of transposing to match the singer's range. But the good news is that everything you do learn in PGS can be applied to accompaniment music - if you buy accompaniment sheet music, reading and playing it will be the same techniques - but needs the addition of working to fit the vocalist's voice.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Galm

Post by Galm » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 am

Thanks for the explanations! Although it'd be great if, later on, more advanced lessons were to be present, too, as it'd help "launching" us newbies into music playing after learning the very basics.