Frustrated Rookie

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
JAW1982

Frustrated Rookie

Post by JAW1982 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:42 pm

I started new to the piano 4 months ago and up to level 52 in Rookie Bootcamp - I have also completed the STAFF NOTATATION course, twice -
I'm still having trouble reading both the treble and bass staff without the aid of the roman notation (A) when playing in bootcamp lessons now...
I have no trouble reading the notation without any assistance when working on either the treble or bass staff alone.... should I be having this much difficulty reading both staff without notation assistance? I practice every day and am frustrated with my progress.

Any insight to help this frustrated rookie?

thanks!

SJunior22

Re: Frustrated Rookie

Post by SJunior22 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:51 am

Hi JAW1982!

I'm currently working on completing full songs as I completed all of the lessons in each bootcamp last month. I still sometimes have a hard time translating notes to piano anywhere in the Grand Staff.

The best advice I'd offer is that you might want to adjust your expectations. You got to give yourself a bit of credit just knowing what the notes are in each of the sections in the Grand Staff. It's going to take time til you can read the entire Grand Staff fluently and translate to the piano as you play. Extend your goal of being fluent to years instead of months or days.

Plus, ignore the "level 52". It has absolutely no way to truly indicate your current piano skill. Pay more attention on what level bootcamp you are currently completing. You mentioned "rookie" so, you are a rookie until you complete that bootcamp and move on the "intermediate" and so on.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best on your journey! You are well on your way so, enjoy the struggle, and dont become discouraged. You will get better and better.

JAW1982

Post by JAW1982 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:52 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement, SJunior22!

kenny55

Post by kenny55 » Sun May 30, 2021 9:51 pm

FYI: I started playing about the same time as you. Last October (2020) I bought my first piano. I am 59. I started Playground about 2 weeks ago and I often get frustrated that I cannot read the bass and treble clef at the same time. It's like I'm not learning anything at all and not progressing. The hands just do not do what the notes say, but if just doing Bass or treble individually I can usually do it. Sometimes the concentration is just not there. So don't feel alone. I am about 50 lessons complete in the rookie bootcamp. Small steps forwards feel like I've climbed mountains. The last part of "When the Saints go marching in" took a day to complete and had to slow it down but then I got 100% 3 out of 4 times... but just took forever to get my hands and brain to work together.

Keep at it. That's what I tell myself anyway.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Mon May 31, 2021 11:15 pm

Don't expect to be sight reading any time during Rookie. You're still building up practice just seeing the notes at this point. SJunior22 has good advice.

I did a roll your own, do-it-yourself kind of thing, I would practice writing notes on hand drawn Grand Staffs and just learning one note to recognize at a time. I made little landmarks that I would know and worked my way one or two notes at a time over quite a while.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

JAW1982

Post by JAW1982 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:36 pm

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!
I have just completed the Rookie Bootcamp and an finishimg up the Top Songs (both hands) practice sessions... feeling a little more positive about my progress but am having a hard time getting through all the practice songsas quickly as I would like.... it takes me days of practicing to get thru each song. I've been stuck on Blueberry Hill for over a week, having a really hard time getting through this song, even at the slow speed.
I think I'm going to move on to the next preactice song as it is causing me great frustration!
Gonna keep on practicing!