dotted whole notes question

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
dapast18

dotted whole notes question

Post by dapast18 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:34 pm

In boot camp using Für Elise( bootcamp rookie lesson 18), in3/2 time, there are a few measures with one dotted whole note in each measure. I would think that a dotted note would overlap the next measure dotted whole note. For example the measure with dotted whote note A would sustain part way through next measure which has a dotted whole note B, and then A would release and B would sustain halfway through next measure which has a dotted whole note C. However, when I use the "Demo" mode and watch the keyboard below, I see that each key is released at the end of the measure, instead of sustaining part way through the next measure.
So is my understaning of dotted notes wrong? In that it is a full measure plus a half measure? Or is the Demo unable to display correctly with two notes playing to overlap?
Thank you for your help!

GordWebster

Re: dotted whole notes question

Post by GordWebster » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:48 pm

In 3/2 time there are three beats per measure and the half-note counts as one beat. A whole note (double a half-note) counts for two beats. The dotted whole note is used In order to fill up the measure; the dot adds an extra 50% for the third beat in the measure. In your example the note is held for the measure and released at the end of the measure, not carried over to the next measure (unless it is a tied note).

dapast18

Post by dapast18 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 pm

thank you, that is a helpful explaination.

GordWebster

Post by GordWebster » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 am

If you haven't already, check out Rookie Bootcamp lesson #39 (The Dot), which is a video lesson that explains what the dot does.