Bootcamp music theory way too complicated

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
aebermann

Bootcamp music theory way too complicated

Post by aebermann » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:22 am

I am really enjoying the bootcamp lessons. However the glut of music theory
at the end of that program is way too complicated and way over my head.
Remember: This is a program for novices who most probably have never played and instrument
or touched a keyboard before.
The instructor is rushing at warp speed through complicated music theory without
much context, which is literally impossible to understand - let along remember -
unless you already know it (which I don't).

As a suggestion I would make the music theory lessons much more incremental and
offer way more context.

The same applies for playing sheetmusic by the way. It is unrealistic to say: This is
how sheet music works. Now play sheetmusic.
This is a skill that most probably takes years to develop and the students should be given
a chance to organically implement that instead of just having their eyes glaze over.

Just food for thought and improvement :-)

EFlatMajor

Re: Bootcamp music theory way too complicated

Post by EFlatMajor » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 pm

Have you done any of the courses that opened up during the rookie bootcamp?

One that unlocks almost immediately is "Reading Music - Staff Notation (Rookie)".

That course teaches you all the music theory you need to know for the rookie bootcamp. These courses do not unlock with any fanfare, you just need to click the "Courses" tab every once in a while to see if there are any new courses available.

Good luck.

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 pm

When you say at the end of the program that there is a Glut of Music Theory - where?

The program isn't only for Rookies. It should appeal to a range of skill levels. If you've made it to advanced, you should be ready for the music theory.

Throughout the lessons are little sprinklings of Music Theory, if you stop to read them. At the end the theory should only be review, and is still just a bare scratch of it. So I'm curious where you found the glut of theory.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

lucidmusicinc

Post by lucidmusicinc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:05 pm

If you're a rookie player, the only theory points you should be concerned about are

- Rhythm and metre symbols
- notes and key signatures
- fingering and hand position (not necessarily theory but important for sight reading)