Reading Music

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
kenny55

Reading Music

Post by kenny55 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:22 pm

When I'm reading the sheet music I usually just step up or down the number of lines or dots as I read left to right as opposed to actually interpreting each dot as an actual note (A,B,C,...G). I know what each note is and where to find it on the keyboard but I generally don't call the notes out in my brain as I play. I may pay special attention to a particular note and it's location on the piano if I'm having trouble going to that key on the piano but for the must part I just step up down as the notes step up and down. Is this normal and do others do the same?

EFlatMajor

Re: Reading Music

Post by EFlatMajor » Thu May 27, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi Kenny - what you are doing is fine in the early part of the rookie bootcamp, but it will only get you so far.

Later on, the notes will bounce around within the measures and they will be more than one note away from the previous note. Not to mention the intermediate bootcamp where you are working with chords.

What I did was I got one of those free sight reading apps for my phone. Played it for 10-15 minutes before bed most nights. That was all I needed.

On the other hand, you could do nothing at all. Just calculate what each note is before you play. I don't recommend this.

Recognizing the notes helps you learn a piece of music faster. You don't need it though after the music is memorized.