Tie vs Dot - When to Use Which?

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
IvoryCoaster

Tie vs Dot - When to Use Which?

Post by IvoryCoaster » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:27 pm

When to use a tie to extend a note rather than the dot?

In BC > RT > 73. Both Hands Practice (Hey There Delilah), Lesson 4., the composer? arranger? scribe? Starts M1 with a C5 half note, tied to a C5 quarter note. Why not a dotted half note? Considering - 1. the timing works for a dot, i.e., 1.5x total of the original half note's duration, 2. same pitch, and 3. not crossing measures, this looks like a good place for the dot notation, versus a tie. Is there some general guideline when to prefer one over the other?

https://pasteboard.co/Kb0KPzS.png

SJunior22

Re: Tie vs Dot - When to Use Which?

Post by SJunior22 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:01 am

Hi IvoryCoaster!

What I've been told over the years about the difference of the two is that one is the "traditional" style and the other is "shorthand". From that, I was told that "the dot" came into play just for fitting more measures on a sheet. They can use "the dot" in which can shrink the measure in size and the notes are still readable. I wasnt told about any sort of guideline when one can be used verses the other. I think "the dot" has become more of the standard nowadays with newer compositions and the "traditional tie" is seen more in earlier-century(s) compositions.

I hope this helped in some way and I wish you all the best!