Timing question

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Helen+C

Timing question

Post by Helen+C » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:48 pm

Hi I am brand new to Playground sessions and have a question on looking up content of lessons. I am wanting to find an explanation of how to count timing in 4/2. Is there a way I can search for things like this on the website please? If not, could someone give me a quick idea of how to count it, do you count two or four. Many thanks :)

SJunior22

Re: Timing question

Post by SJunior22 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:58 am

Hi Helen+C!

4/2 time signature..

The top number indicates how many beats in a measure (in this case, its 4)

The bottom number indicates which note gets the beat and the type of notes in the measure (in this case its every "2" and "4" gets the beat and there will be 4 - half notes in every measure, since the "2" on the bottom indicates a "half-note").

Half-notes are counted as "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and ".

However, the "4-half notes" in the measure can be broken down into other notes (quarter, eighths, sixteenths, etc). Changes to any of the half-notes into something else will have to also have the relevant "rest" note in the measure and/or other notes to balance out the 4-beats (a little advanced music theory intro; I just wanted to make sure I was giving you the necessary information to answer your question)

There are lessons in the rookie bootcamp that will explain time signatures and how to count them. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best!

Henrik Stromberg

Post by Henrik Stromberg » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:49 am

SJunior22 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:58 am
Hi Helen+C!

4/2 time signature..

The top number indicates how many beats in a measure (in this case, its 4)

The bottom number indicates which note gets the beat and the type of notes in the measure (in this case its every "2" and "4" gets the beat and there will be 4 - half notes in every measure, since the "2" on the bottom indicates a "half-note").

Half-notes are counted as "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and ".

However, the "4-half notes" in the measure can be broken down into other notes (quarter, eighths, sixteenths, etc). Changes to any of the half-notes into something else will have to also have the relevant "rest" note in the measure and/or other notes to balance out the 4-beats (a little advanced music theory intro; I just wanted to make sure I was giving you the necessary information to answer your question)

There are lessons in the rookie bootcamp that will explain time signatures and how to count them. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best!

Thank you! It helped me too!

https://musescore.com/community

Jarl

Post by Jarl » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:53 pm

Buy this book it will help you way more than you realize. It helped me tremendously. It’s $31 bucks but we’ll worth it. Make sure to get the print edition as it comes with cds for ear training and you’ll want to write in it.
Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentia ... =ABIS_BOOK