Bootcamp Flow

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
drumaster12

Bootcamp Flow

Post by drumaster12 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:06 am

First of all, thanks for the software and all the work that's gone into it! Having never done more than poke around at a keyboard in music stores before, I was excited to dive into the bootcamp. A few things are confusing me though, and really interrupting the flow.

First, the order of the bootcamp lessons and exercises. Since I'm new to this, I went straight to the rookie tour. That brought up a bunch of numbered tiles that I figured should be done in their numbered order. I'm increasingly unsure about that though because video lessons are saying things like "now in this next lesson...", but the next lesson is an exercise, or a lesson on a totally different topic. I'm lost and don't know if I'm going in the right order, or what the right order is!

Next, the count in. It's not a particularly big deal, but I can't understand why you keep counting in to 4 when the exercises are in 2/4.

Lastly, the flow within exercises is not as smooth as it could be. I really like the "C to Retry" feature. It's brilliant! I don't have to move my hands from the keys and can start again right away. When I'm happy with that potion of the exercise though, I'm rewarded by having to move away from the keys and move the mouse to click "OK", go up to the dropdown, select the next section, then click play. You turned what is a simple one-key press for "do-over" into a 4-click process for "Yes, I nailed it!". Couldn't I just press a different key to move on to the next section?
This ties into the lesson order as well. If I press the "next" key after the last section of an exercise, maybe the program could take me to the next lesson in the bootcamp.

I don't mean to just complain. I am truly enjoying learning with the program. I just want to float some ideas for improvement out there since I know you're still actively improving and working on things.

drumaster12

Re: Bootcamp Flow

Post by drumaster12 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:39 am

Never mind the count-in remark. I just realized that you've actually written the music out in 4/2 with a dotted line in the middle of the measure. I didn't realize the line in the middle was dotted (never seen that before) and went all dyslexic on the time signature thinking it was in 2/4.

Sorry about that. I feel a little bit stupid, and a little bit confused about what that dotted line is. That's what I get for bringing a drumming background into piano, I guess!

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:04 am

drumaster12 wrote:First of all, thanks for the software and all the work that's gone into it! Having never done more than poke around at a keyboard in music stores before, I was excited to dive into the bootcamp. A few things are confusing me though, and really interrupting the flow.

First, the order of the bootcamp lessons and exercises. Since I'm new to this, I went straight to the rookie tour. That brought up a bunch of numbered tiles that I figured should be done in their numbered order. I'm increasingly unsure about that though because video lessons are saying things like "now in this next lesson...", but the next lesson is an exercise, or a lesson on a totally different topic. I'm lost and don't know if I'm going in the right order, or what the right order is!

Next, the count in. It's not a particularly big deal, but I can't understand why you keep counting in to 4 when the exercises are in 2/4.

Lastly, the flow within exercises is not as smooth as it could be. I really like the "C to Retry" feature. It's brilliant! I don't have to move my hands from the keys and can start again right away. When I'm happy with that potion of the exercise though, I'm rewarded by having to move away from the keys and move the mouse to click "OK", go up to the dropdown, select the next section, then click play. You turned what is a simple one-key press for "do-over" into a 4-click process for "Yes, I nailed it!". Couldn't I just press a different key to move on to the next section?
This ties into the lesson order as well. If I press the "next" key after the last section of an exercise, maybe the program could take me to the next lesson in the bootcamp.

I don't mean to just complain. I am truly enjoying learning with the program. I just want to float some ideas for improvement out there since I know you're still actively improving and working on things.
Hey, sorry it's taken so long to respond to your post. We've recently made improvements to our Bootcamp flow. Have you had a chance to check it out? We're also pushing out a new update very soon (within the next few weeks) that will also help make it easy to not only track what lessons have been completed in the Bootcamp but we've also improved the navigation so that you don't have to deal with executing several clicks to move from one lesson to the next (I agree, that sucks). We've also taken your suggestion into consideration and in the next update you'll be able to press "C" to retry and "D" to move on to the next exercise.

Feel free to keep your suggestions coming - they help us to create the best experience we can!

ericb81

Post by ericb81 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi,

I also have problems with figuring out the flow of the bootcamp. My initial assumption was also to follow the lessons in order (by number). However, the first practice session after the first introduction starts with reading notes in 4/2 without any introduction. Yikes!

Could you please elaborate on the suggested order of the bootcamp lessions, as still have problems figuring it out? I'm now on the lates v2.0 of the application by the way.

Any help is much appreciated!

Best regards,
Eric

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 pm

ericb81 wrote:Hi,

I also have problems with figuring out the flow of the bootcamp. My initial assumption was also to follow the lessons in order (by number). However, the first practice session after the first introduction starts with reading notes in 4/2 without any introduction. Yikes!

Best regards,
Eric
You're right in taking the lessons in numerical order. The idea with the flow of the Bootcamp was to deliver music concepts to you slowly, one at a time. In each lesson we try to point your attention only to what's necessary to get through the exercise set. Although the 4/2 is listed in the notation for the first set of lessons, try to ignore it early on - it will be addressed later in the tour.