Lesson 11 appears to be beyond me totally

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
judderbar

Lesson 11 appears to be beyond me totally

Post by judderbar » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi, I have been doing ok with the course so far but lesson 11 has introduced two hands with a fairly complicated right hand. It seems way too cruel to have to manage two hands and have the complexity of the right hand. I realise for somebody who is not a beginner this is a very very simple piece of music but at my level it just seems way too hard. I am thinking i can use the playground sessions environment to learn rather than having to go off line and learn and then come back to kind of pass a test on playground sessions. up to this point in the course it has been fairly easy going but i feel demoralised now.

Thanks for listening

Edit: After spending about 4 solid days on another online course i came up against the same difficulty with two hands so I came back to this course. I can now do lesson 11 consistantly at 23 beats per minute.
Last edited by judderbar on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Admiratio

Re: Lesson 11 appears to be beyond me totally

Post by Admiratio » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:34 am

What other course did you use to get familiar with the right hand? I'm having the same issue as you were.

Gossima

Post by Gossima » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:09 pm

I have to agree, for a complete beginner to the piano there is a huge jump in difficulty in Lesson 11.

As someone who could read a little musical notation, I found lessons 1-10 pretty smooth sailing in general.

Lesson 11 is the first time we have been asked to play with both hands at the same time, and there aren't any tips or advice on how best to go about this. Just the tutorial video where both hands are used together as if it is easy, and then the practice test, which is a fast paced song on top of everything else!

At this point I came to a crashing halt in my progress.

Having read around a little on the Internet before signing up, I tried a mixture of learning the left hand and right hand separately, then combining them together slowly and building up speed until I could pass the test, which took quite a while in comparison to previous lessons.

Since I haven't looked ahead at future lessons, I don't know if more advice is given on how to use both hands together, but if there isn't then I think other beginner players like myself would appreciate some extra help with learning to combine both hands together before trying to complete the practice test. I am sure that there is many more challenges ahead, but learning to play with both hands at the same time is probably something that could use a video tutorial of its own to help ease the transition.

Anyway, apart from that one hiccup, I am enjoying the course immensely so far, and looking forward to what else is in store.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns about lesson 11. We completely understand your frustration and are in the process of improving that lesson so that it's not such a drastic change in difficulty for our users.

Keep an eye out for changes to that lesson in the upcoming weeks. And please continue to share your thoughts with us about lessons that you believe are too difficult too soon.

ChivasRx

Post by ChivasRx » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi everybody! I started PS over the weekend and got to lesson 11 today. Definitely a jump in difficulty. Was wondering how adding the left hand would be. Gotta work hard on this one for us beginners. There's a bunch of different things going on here, and my belief is that our brains and body are trying to do things in a specific, coordinated way that we're not accustomed to. I experienced the same thing in different ways when learning to play drums. Just stay with it. I've gotten 100%, but certainly not consistent yet. My brain pauses for a split second at the left hand, middle finger E note. I always seem to want to use my pinky there. Sometimes my right hand just doesn't work right. That 3-4-5-3-1...the 3-1 sometimes causes a little problem.
. .
Good luck to all!

Todd

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 am

Just checking in to see if you guys are still having problems with this lesson.