Time Signature question

General discussion about Playground Sessions Bootcamps
Judex

Re: Time Signature question

Post by Judex » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:28 am

Yeah, I read David's post about why PGS decided to go with 4/2 - but I also saw a post above by someone who gave up on the program/app/whatever because of it. As I said, I'm looking forward to the end of it - being comfortable with what they switch to later on is an advantage for those who are already comfortable with it. By now I'm used to it, but I do wonder how it feels going the other way. My nephew in the 4th grade is starting trumpet with Tradition of Excellence, and they're hitting the kids with eighth notes (slurred and tongued) from the start, and with trumpet, you'd think there was enough of a challenge just gettig a note to sound, let alone a specified note, let alone at a specified time. (He seems to be thriving, not sure about the rest of the family.)

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:45 pm

The Trumpet plays one note at a time, so the more advanced notation can come quick. We're usually worried about coordinating two notes at least and by the end six or more at a time.

And I still agree; I think we could have started with 4/4 time. Playground Sessions team didn't think so. We disagree on that point (me and Playground Sessions team), and they're the gurus, if you will, so I concede to their judgement at least a little. I think people who don't give it a chance are giving up too easy and missing out on good stuff. Essentially what Playground Sessions has done is write everything in 2/2 time or Cut Common Time (𝄵). At least for the Rookie level.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:57 pm

I don't have a huge issue with it, especially since I use the backing tract to to stay in time. In the beginning everything is either on the beat, or the equivalent of 'straight eighths', so it doesn't really matter if it's 4/4 or 4/2. Somewhere around "Imagine" you need to able to come in or play on the 'and'. I just think that once something is off the count it's better represented by eighths.

Judex

Post by Judex » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Right, with the backing tracks the notation is not so much a problem as an irritation. Getting all these fingers to the right notes at the right time is the problem - I feel like I just can't think quite fast enough, and when I slow the tempo down to a crawl, then my mind tends to wander... It's a wonder I make any progress at all.