A lot more hours than you think!

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Richard

A lot more hours than you think!

Post by Richard » Mon May 02, 2016 5:11 am

I was really pleased to have been awarded an, 'Apprentice Badge.'

However, I noticed it was awarded for 10 hours practicing, but in fact, last week I spent just over 40hours! :o

I'm guessing that time is only added when you actually start each exercise, following along and playing the notes when required!?

In fact most of my time is spent practicing each exercise prior to starting it. I only start the exercise when I think I can do it... and this seems to work for me.

This is no great problem, but I was thinking that other users may be doing a lot more time practicing than they think! :?

draco2023a

Re: A lot more hours than you think!

Post by draco2023a » Mon May 02, 2016 8:38 am

I think it's that way for a lot of us if we add up the the time spent before hitting the play button. There are days when I will spend 8 hours running scales and practicing arpeggios.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:07 am

I know you don't get a score, and I don't think you get time for practicing a part of the song that you select. I spend a lot of time doing that, I think it's one of the best parts of playground. I put the loop on and practice difficult measures over and over.

I also spend about 50% of my time practicing things outside of playground. Variety really helps me. Although I need to dedicate time to scales. I can't for the life of me figure out an easy way to remember them. I guess you just drill them into your muscle memory.

Russ

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 03, 2016 5:43 am

Morning Russ.. or afternoon.. evening... night... whatever!? :?

Same for me... most of my time spent outside of the playground.. I did try printing the exercises of for this very purpose, but none seem to be available for printing!? :(

Although I do the scales... I only do them as part of my warm up... I certainly couldn't do 8 hours a day and stay sane! :shock: I want to learn to play along with the songs I know.. make mistakes, that make no great differences and mainly enjoy my time pressing the keys. I don't want to be a classical pianist!

I'm working on the, 'Inversions,' and fine that I can see patterns and I practice these patterns... hope that makes sense?

The Playground seems more about understanding music notation and getting the notes and timings spot on... rather than playing along as accompaniment!?

Enjoy the rest of your day... enjoy your practicing! :D

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 03, 2016 5:46 am

Hi Draco...

8 hours a day on scales!? You must be fantastic at scales? :o

How long have you been playing the piano?

PS. I noted you have an Avatar... can you explain how you add to account please?

Many thanks for your time!
Last edited by Richard on Tue May 03, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:44 am

Richard wrote:
PS. I noted you have an Avatar... can you explain how you add to account please?
Click on User Control Panel, upper left...then profile....then edit avatar.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 03, 2016 9:33 am

Thanks Russ!

Russ1409

Post by Russ1409 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Nice avatar.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed May 04, 2016 2:11 am

Thanks Russ.. I've just been watching Breaking Bad :?

draco2023a

Post by draco2023a » Wed May 04, 2016 4:53 am

Richard, It will be 20 years in August....Kinda...8 years ago I started having problems with shaky hands. I was handed a diagnoses of young onset parkinsons. I ended up quitting about a year and a half later.
New meds make the symptoms disapear for most of the day so I started back in december :)