Inversions are Magic!

A place to discuss Playground's main curriculum, the Bootcamp.
Richard

Inversions are Magic!

Post by Richard » Tue May 03, 2016 6:32 am

Hi Everyone!

I was having a bit of a problem with one of the lesson I was doing about Inversions... there was an inversion I hadn't been told about, so I went and did a bit of looking online... and there is loads out there... and found a lot of information about the ins and outs of Inversions. Now.. I find Inversions just amazing!

I don't understand why there is so much time spent on... learning Root positions!? :roll: One earlier piece took me ages to get, simple because my hands were jumping around the keyboard like a demented frog, trying to go from one Root chord to another! :?

Inversions seem to make so much more sense.. there is a logic to them.. they help with knowing and understand the notes of the chords, the positions they can be played and most importantly, help with moving from one chord to the next.. Great!

I found that by practicing the basic Inversion pattern, up and down the keyboard, It is a lot easier to play the chords in any of the basic keys.
Richard's Inversions.png
Richard's Inversions.png (72.71 KiB) Viewed 5092 times

Russ1409

Re: Inversions are Magic!

Post by Russ1409 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:10 pm

I learned basic chords as "pointer" chords, because they are easy to find on the keyboard. Root positions were foreign to me for a long time. Then all of the sudden I was introduced to a few more inversions so I didn't have to chase the chords all over the keyboard.....cool! Made some of the playing a lot easier.

draco2023a

Post by draco2023a » Tue May 03, 2016 9:28 pm

I always found calculating inversions simple. Major,minor, sus2/4, augmented, diminished chords no problem..but for some reason 7th inversions always pose a problem

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed May 04, 2016 2:06 am

Morning...

Thanks for your input..

Draco.. you got me interested in these other chords.. so a bit more research and I'm getting hooked! There are patterns everywhere.. obvious really I suppose!?

I tell you what else I noticed.. words used and piano speak! Here is an example, augmented....it just means added, so an augmented chord has a note added... Diminished, means take away, minus, so guess what?

Numbers fit in great too... you can create any major chord... by, choices a note, say C (finger 5 with left hand) .. counting 4 steps to the right, E ( 3 finger) then 3 steps to the right, G (thumb) This is the C Major Chord

All Major Chords can be found using.. 43 Does that make sense! Minor Chords 34... Diminished 33 and Augmented 44 try it! I'm hooked on finding more :D

This 7th Chord as got me interesed now... seems to pop up all the time! I have been trying it with C chord and found that out of the 3 possible inversion, Root, 1st and 2nd, the 2nd makes playing the C7 really easy.. fingering for LH 5(G) 3(Bb) 2(C) Thumb(E)

I may be getting a bit carried away here... so I'll leave you in peace.. ;)

Have a good one!

draco2023a

Post by draco2023a » Thu May 05, 2016 8:05 pm

Yup...very good :)
I tend to spell chords using intervals, but your way works too