Styx - Come Sail Away

ChivasRx

Styx - Come Sail Away

Post by ChivasRx » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:38 am

Would love to see this on PS. Always said to myself that if I ever learn to play piano, Come Sail Away is a must. Been looking at videos and sheet music and will definitely learn this at some point. David, I'm on intermedate 13, how long from here to play a version similar to this little girl? I would view playing this well as my "graduation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOquulrKK6c

Just to let you know, I'm really enjoying the program. Started two months ago splitting my time between PS and Alfred's Adult Self Learning book. Besides playing, opening my world to music. During Nancy Reagan's funeral the bag pipe player starts playing New World Symphony, and I'm thrilled that I knew it and was playing it just a few days earlier.

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: Styx - Come Sail Away

Post by davidsides » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:47 am

First off, let me say that I'm happy you're enjoying your experience and progress with Playground! That makes me happy to read. :)

Secondly, that's a great arrangement of "Come Sail Away". Given the octaves being played in different registers, and the broken chord patterns played in the LH, this arrangement would be equivalent to one of our advanced arrangements. With that said, you could possibly already play it now! Just because you're in the Intermediate part of the Tour doesn't mean you can ONLY play Intermediate level songs. Have you tried playing any of our Advanced arrangements yet?

ChivasRx

Post by ChivasRx » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Before seeing your reply, I hadn't even looked at any adavnced arrangements. Just feel I'm not totally ready as I need a bit more development and independence. That said, I'm very happy with my progress, just finishing "I'll be there" and starting on "Imagine." Currently on Int. 18 in the bootcamp. "Losing My Religion" was definitely fun to play a bit. I look for songs that will challenge me and add to what I'm learning, and now, get the left hand to work better. The first verse of Imagine is certainly going to help me, once I get it of course. After this, I'm going to try "My Heart Will Go On," again to continue developing the left hand and independence. Hopefully, all the steps I'm taking will get me towards "Come Sail Away!" BTW, I play on a Yamaha Clavinova and YamahaMusicSoft has an advanced midi of "Come Sail Away" I might check out down the road. Still, I would really like to see it here on PS. I did check out some advanced arrangements here during the past week, and funny that two of the songs I was very interested in learning at the beginning, before" I joined, have advanced easy arrangements I might be able to try somewhat soon, "Behind Blue Eyes" and "How To Save a Life." How does this sound to you David? Like with "Come Sail Away," if I could play your advanced arrangements of "Behind Blue Eyes" and "How to Save a Life," I'd be pretty thrilled with progress, and certain enjoyment of the piano. Having a great time thus far!

Thanks for listening.

Todd

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 am

That sounds like a good idea, Todd. I understand you wanting to increase your development and your independence. At the end of the day a lot of this just comes down to confidence. Once you have the confidence to dive in and start playing different songs, you'll likely be able to knock them out. :)

Your plan sounds like a good one. Be sure to fire back with another post once you've knocked out some of the advanced arrangements.

bessetteb

Post by bessetteb » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:15 am

i second this!!! i was really hoping to see this in the library when i first joined. please add this, too classic to pass over

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:23 am

Agreed. :)

blispers

Post by blispers » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Love this song would love to have this on PG.
Thanks