Another headphone Q, Casio LK-280 plus IPad

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
Tord Hoppe

Another headphone Q, Casio LK-280 plus IPad

Post by Tord Hoppe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 am

Hey, looking at a post in the forum I think, but I´m not sure, that this setup should work. The purpose is to have all sound coming through my headphones, for the sanity of my surroundings. :) The combo is Casio LK.280 and Ipad.

The Casio LK-280 has a USB port, a 3,5mm audio in port and a 6,something mm headphone jack.
My idea is to plug USB via USB-Firewhatever-converter into the Ipad and Ipad audio out to the audio in o fthe LK. Finally headphones into LK and hey presto! No?

andrewwegierski

Re: Another headphone Q, Casio LK-280 plus IPad

Post by andrewwegierski » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. I think that will work, but let me clarify the set up briefly.

First, the USB port on the Casio. Does this say "USB to Host" and/or is it square? If so, you're in luck. You'll need a USB A-to-B cable to connect the piano to the iPad. This is just to send the MIDI data to the Playground app.

By default, all sounds come from the Playground app, which implies that they come from the device you're running the Playground app on. If you're able to run a separate cable; that is, something similar to a double-ended headphone jack, from the audio out of the iPad to the audio in on the keyboard, I don't see why it shouldn't work. I haven't tested it myself, but it makes sense. You are basically using the keyboard as a set of headphones.

Then, you plug your actual pair of headphones into the headphone jack on the keyboard. There's one problem - you'll be hearing sounds from the physical keyboard and in-app piano sounds. To correct this, go to settings and turn the in-app piano volume slider all the way down.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Laurensss

Post by Laurensss » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:54 pm

The LK-280 is class compliant MIDI through a Type B USB port. So you'd need what's commonly referred to as a "printer cable", one of the USB-Lightning dongles Apple sells (I recommend paying an extra tenner so you can keep your iPad charged), and the 3.5mm cable Andrew described.

One silly thing about PGS is, if you mute the piano sound in app in order to hear the keyboard piano samples (which are usually a lot better), the piano demo sounds also won't play. So there's a little dance of going to settings, volume, piano volume twice for every time you want to hear something demo'ed to you. There really should be two different volume controls for the notes you play and the demo sounds.

Tord Hoppe

Post by Tord Hoppe » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks for the replies.
Yep, everything works fine with this setup. In the PGS app settings there is a menu where you set different things like left/right channel, sample rate(?). At the top I saw two different choices, one said something like CASIO-MIDI and the other something similar to Network session. I needed to change to CASIO-MIDI, not surprising but just wanted to mention that if others are trying the same setup. I suspect that the Network session perhaps comes from the Ipad having Bluetooth turned on (which I´m going to turn off).
I also maxed out the sample rate and turned down the apps piano sound so the only piano sound I hear comes from the Casio keyboard.

Laurenss, not sure what you mean with demo sounds, but that´s perhaps because I´m only at the second rookie lesson. :) I guess the lessons sometimes go like "It should sound like this: pling pling pling" and the pling comes from the app piano. Good to know!

sw1tch73ch

Post by sw1tch73ch » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm

There are two hands at the top of the music score in the tool bar. Click both hands and press play - don't play any notes and just listen (you'll have to have the Playground Sessions Piano voice volume up to a "normal" level) and the program will "demo" the song or lesson for you.
== Just keep playing. Just keep playing. Just keep playing, playing, playing! ==

-- jbs --

dragonryder

Post by dragonryder » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am

sw1tch73ch wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm
There are two hands at the top of the music score in the tool bar. Click both hands and press play - don't play any notes and just listen (you'll have to have the Playground Sessions Piano voice volume up to a "normal" level) and the program will "demo" the song or lesson for you.
That was really helpful - thank you SO much for explaining how to listen to the demo. I kept pressing "piano demo" which did nothing. Then I turned on the two hands and pressed it again. It didn't occur to me to press both of the hands, then press play!
..................................................................................................................
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you taste crunchy and good with ketchup