Trouble with using VST

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
karl.schumann

Trouble with using VST

Post by karl.schumann » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Is there a way on Windows to have a VST running to produce the sound for a piano and use Playground Sessions to still track whether you are hitting the notes correctly?

Current Configuration:
Piano - Casio PX 150
PC - Windows 10
Connection - Piano connected to PC using a USB A->B cable

The main thing I am attempting to do is to set it up so I can hear my pIano and playground sessions all through my headphones without using the piano sound produced by playground sessions as it doesn't sound as good as the native sound my piano produces or the sounds available through other VSTs.

So far I have been unsuccessful at getting both Playground Sessions and a VST to work as they both seem to fight for control of the midi input. If I have Reaper or Pianoteq open and setup to accept the midi input from my keyboard Playground Sessions will not start. I see the splashscreen, but it is blank white and then it goes away and the app does not start. If I start Playground Sessions first I can get it setup so it accepts the midi input, but only with the default sound produced by PGS and then I can't get the VST to also receive the input.

I looked into loopMidi and loopbe, but it seems like with those I would need to set PGS to take in the keyboard as the input and then set the output to loopMidi, but that does not seem to be an option available within PGS.

It seems like maybe this functionality just works on Mac computers, but not Windows. Has anyone had any success doing this on a Windows environment?