MIDI thru USB

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
mierdavid

MIDI thru USB

Post by mierdavid » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 am

This may be too specific of an issue to get any help, but I'll give it a go...

I have a full size keyboard (weighted 88 key) connected (via MIDI) to a Novation Mininova (synthesizer) that is connect to my PC via USB. Typically, I can use my full size keyboard to play the Mininova directly or with my DAW software, no problem (even though the full size piano is not directly connected to the PC).

With the playground sessions software, only the Mininova is recognized. Input from the full size keyboard is ignored.

Obvious solution, get a USB to MIDI cable and connect the full size keyboard directly to the PC.
I want to know if there's a way to get this to work...
A. I don't want to spend more money on a cable.
B. Each time I use my DAW, I have to reconnect the full size to the synthesizer.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

andrewwegierski

Re: MIDI thru USB

Post by andrewwegierski » Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm

I'm unaware of any setup considerations to get one like this working, with two keyboards.

Are you using the MIDI thru port on the Synthesizer?

One possible consideration is that you should use a MIDI cable between both devices, and run the thru port on the middle device, the synth, if possible.

Other than that, I don't have any ideas.

You can email support@playgroundsessions.com for more help regarding the set up.

The easiest solution is what you said - run the MIDI cable directly to the computer from the keyboard.
Andrew Wegierski

Customer Support Representative
Music Arranger

support@playgroundsessions.com

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:08 pm

I'm a novice but I don't understand why you would need to move the 88 key to the synth when using the DAW. You'll lose the ability to trigger the synth from the 88 key, but you should be able to assign any sound you want to the 88 KB in the DAW. You may want to change the midi channel assignment so the virtual instruments don't step on one another. I guess it depends on what you're trying to do.

St8kout

Post by St8kout » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:34 pm

I have a Yamaha MOX8 88-key and I could not for the life of me use it as just a midi keyboard, until now.
I ended up using the midi-out connector on the MOX8, into a midi/USB box, and out to the computer. I've since bought a Babyface Pro audio interface for my Cubase 10 DAW, so now I just use a midi cable from the MOX8 to the Babyface Pro.

The midiplus Tbox2X2 USB MIDI Interface comes with 2 midi cables, and it's around $30. Perhaps it was overkill instead of just buying one of the many cable choices, but I saw too many bad reviews so I went with the box.

If you have a DAW, ideally you should use an audio interface to reduce latency, as opposed to just using an ASIO driver, and most of them have a midi input. So then all you would need is one midi cable. You may have to go into your keyboards settings like on the MOX8, to make it work, (see below).

I should point out that the midi connectors on the MOX8 have to be activated through the Utility menu. You change the setting "Midi in/out USB" to "Midi in/out MIDI," then Store the setting.

ozawako1

Post by ozawako1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi,

My case dose not seem exactly same, if it helps...

I have a KORG keyboard and a KORG synthesis.
Both are connected to iMac using Roland USB-MIDI Interface "UM-ONE mk2".

UM-ONE MIDI OUT to keyboard.
UM-ONE MIDI IN to synthesis.
UM-ONE USB to iMac.
"AND"
the app named "MIDI Thru" is installed on iMac to enable MIDI THRU.

I can play keyboard with both synthesis and Playground.app are recognizing MIDI.

St8kout

Post by St8kout » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:59 am

The Mininova manual says it's not a computer Midi interface. It can send it's own MIDI through USB to a computer, but not MIDI from external equipment (like your 88-key keyboard) connected to it's MIDI ports. (Not sure why, but that's what it says.)

So you're just going to have to buy a MIDI to USB cable or use something like a Tbox 2x2, which IS a Midi interface. I have this Tbox and it works great, but it looks like it's no longer available. Amazon does show a smaller version of the Tbox for about $12. The Midi to USB cables are not that expensive, but I can't vouch for how well they work.

ClyLunt

Post by ClyLunt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:43 am

Hello...I wanna utilize my Mininova as Keyboard.
I wouldn't do anything extravagant simply utilize the Pitchbendwheel , Modwheel and the keys.
So Fl remembers it as Midi-regulator however it doesn't send information when I utilize the Keys on it (And YES I have it empowered)
At the present time I utilize the USB-Port , and I don't generally wanna purchase a Midi-Interface , so on the off chance that it would work with simply the USB , I'd be happy.

order pcb