Show me your external display/computer setup

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
HazelGirl84

Show me your external display/computer setup

Post by HazelGirl84 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:51 pm

Hi all! I am visually impaired and find it hard to follow the lessons due ti the size of the font. I have a Yamaha P-125 and an iPad Air 2. I thought of getting an iPad Pro 12.9 inch, but I think connecting to a computer would be better. I thought may try connecting. I am working with limited space and wanna see what others are doing!

EFlatMajor

Re: Show me your external display/computer setup

Post by EFlatMajor » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:09 am

Hello Hazel,

A lot of us use larger external monitors because the current version of the app falls short for people with vision issues.

I have a Intel NUC computer for PGS, it is about the size of 4 slices of bread. Very small, no fan, quiet. I use a monitor with it, 24 inches I think about 12 inches from my face. It works great.

Best case you put everything on top of the piano - monitor, mouse, keyboard, but if you don't have a lot of room or you don't want an enormous monitor right in front of your face, consider mounting the monitor (or TV) to the wall behind the piano.

I can't help you with the iPad version - my tablet is an Android.

Does this satisfy your question?

St8kout

Re: Show me your external display/computer setup

Post by St8kout » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Although I'm not visually impaired, my ipad pro is also too small for me. Luckily, I never throw anything out so I used an old ancient Dell 24" monitor, mounted on the wall with a cheapo wall mount. Then I simply adjust my distance from it by moving my Yamaha P-125.

Just don't mount it up high like you would for a computer. It's much better to have it at the same height as the sheet music holder that came with your piano, where it's easily to watch the location of your fingers on the keys. You will need a mount that can angle the monitor up towards your face.

I should mention that the monitor is controlled by my ipad pro, using a noname adapter that lets me plug in an HDMI cable, along with the power cable used to charge my ipad. Running an external monitor without the charge cable drains the ipad fairly quickly. And of course the adapter also lets me plug in the USB from my Yamaha to use with Playground. I do have to turn everything on in a certain order or it doesn't work right.
1-plug in HDMI, USB from piano, and power cable into the adapter.
2-plug adapter into ipad but then turn ipad off.
3-turn on the piano.
4-turn on the monitor.
5-lastly turn on the ipad to see if everything's connected.

Even then, sometimes I have to power down the ipad and turn it on again if/when it doesn't connect to everything.