MIDI to USB Compatibility Issues with Playground Sessions Platform

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
TMan

MIDI to USB Compatibility Issues with Playground Sessions Platform

Post by TMan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi all,
I am using the Playground Sessions platform using a connetion to my Roland HP-2 Digital Piano. My connection is via a MIDI to USB adaptor, connected to my Macbook Pro running the latest OS (Big Sur). I have been enjoying the lessons and making great progress, but on entering the lessons involving two simultaneous keystrokes, I notice that the Playground Sessions platform won't seem to register the simultaneous striking of two keys. Only one or the other will randomly register, and the software consequently generates errors for the other. I also note that the platform sometimes will randomly insert an erroneous key-strike at the beginning of an exercise, even though I have not begun striking any keyboard keys. All of this makes monitoring my own progress and correctness of play, a challenge to say the the least. Also very frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this or otherwise have a suggestion for rectifying it? I have already tried resetting the lesson data and lesson assets under the help tab and reloading the platform. I have also tried using a USB to lightning camera adaptor to enable a connection to my iPad, thinking that the new Big Sur OS might be the culprit, but the problem occurs on my iPad device as well. I have also visit the Roland website to download latest keyboard drivers...also to no avail. Any suggestions appreciated...

iancrouse

Re: MIDI to USB Compatibility Issues with Playground Sessions Platform

Post by iancrouse » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:04 pm

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about this issue. I would suggest going into the settings of your Roland Keyboard and turning off LOCAL control. This should resolve the issue you are experiencing. If you require any further assistance, feel free to contact us at support@Playgroundsessions.com. We would be happy to assist you further from there!

Best,
Ian
Playground Sessions Support Team Member

TMan

Post by TMan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. Good news and bad news...the bad news is, turning off LOCAL control did not solve my issues. The good news is, I have found a solution...I tossed the cheap generic MIDI to USB adaptor cable that I was using to make the connection between my digital piano and Macbook. In consultation with my local music store, I replaced it with a much higher quality interface cable. Turns out that not all MIDI to USB adaptors are created equal! Although somewhat more expensive, my new cable is a proper Roland branded cable suited to the Roland digital piano to which I'm connecting. Presto! Problem solved. I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for," once again rings true...I've posted this so that anyone else making similar connections and having similar problems will have another solution to try.
Loving the playground sessions platform!
With thanks,
TMan.

rickm

Post by rickm » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:52 am

Just curious, what was the brand name of the old cable? I get the 2nd problem, which is quite common, with my M-Audio Uno adapter cable. My new piano with a USB connection has no problem.