keyboard setup/calibration problem

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
Zuck

Post by Zuck » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:03 pm

I have a Yamaha CP300. This is the first time that I attempt to connect a keyboard to my PC (Windows 8, 32 bit). I'm using a USB cable. I also have no experience with Midi. I installed the Midi driver from Yamaha. In Playground Sessions during keyboard setup I get to the point where the software recognizes the keyboard - at least it displays it in the drop down menu. In the next step I am asked to play the left most key on my keyboard and I see a graphic representation of a keyboard and the lowest key (A) is indicated grey. I play this key on the CP300 but then nothing happens. The display remains unchanged, no confirmation and I'm not able to continue with the setup.
Any help would be much appreciated.

seant23
Site Admin

Re: keyboard setup/calibration problem

Post by seant23 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Zuck,

I don't have experience with that keyboard in particular, but I know that some keyboards require you turn on a midi out setting, on the keyboard. I found this page of the user manual:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/196673 ... ml?page=92

You can try and use a separate app called Midi-ox to test the device. It is a very simple app that just shows your midi connection and will show if the computer is receiving any signals from the keyboard.

http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe

Are you using a USB cable or a MIDI to USB cable?

Zuck

Post by Zuck » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks for the help seant23! I'm using a USB cable. As a troubleshooting step I have just installed Playground Sessions on another PC and also installed the appropriate driver (64bit) and connected my keyboard. The device manager lists the keyboard as working properly and just as with the other PC Playground Sessions also recognizes the keyboard and it appears in the drop down menu of the setup window. But again just as before it gets stuck at the next stage.
In the next step I am asked to play the left most key on my keyboard and I see a graphic representation of a keyboard and the lowest key (A) is indicated grey. I play this key on the CP300 but then nothing happens. The display remains unchanged, no confirmation and I'm not able to continue with the setup.
I also asked a co-worker with midi experience for advice regarding this problem. This helped me to find how to turn off local control on my keyboard under midi settings, but it didn't fix the problem.
I also tried midiox, but can't get anything to work in there either.
I followed these steps:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... g/en398363
1. Launch MIDI-OX.
2. Go to the Options Menu and select MIDI Devices.
3. Select the MIDI Inputs on your device you would like to test.
4. Click OK.
5. Pressing keys on your MIDI keyboard should register Note On and Note Off messages in the Monitor Window.

I don't get Note On and Note Off messages so perhaps this is a hardware problem, but I don't know how to address it.
I still have time to try and make this work - otherwise I will use the 30 day money back guaranty.
I would be grateful if anybody has further tips! Thanks.

seant23
Site Admin

Post by seant23 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 pm

If your keyboard is having issues with a straight USB connection, you could instead try getting yourself a MIDI->USB adapter, usually like $20-30, and see if MIDI-OX and PGS can pick up the signal from that.

MaskeleBob

Post by MaskeleBob » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:49 pm

I am having trouble with the virtual keyboard and need help. I have armed the track, selected a vsti reasynth and record monitoring on. Still no sound. Any help here?

Erich

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi Erich,

Are you getting sound from the videos in the lessons?

jaycee44

Post by jaycee44 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:50 am

I have not been on playground for a while. I decided to try it again today. Everything seemed to be fine, until I started to practice one of my songs. Somehow the software is jumping up an octave and registering that I have played the wrong note. I have checked everything twice. to no avail. Any suggestions. Thanks.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:24 pm

jaycee44 wrote:I have not been on playground for a while. I decided to try it again today. Everything seemed to be fine, until I started to practice one of my songs. Somehow the software is jumping up an octave and registering that I have played the wrong note. I have checked everything twice. to no avail. Any suggestions. Thanks.
Jaycee44,

Try this:

1. Open your Playground Sessions app and sign in
2. At the top of the screen, click on Help > Clear Playground Data
3. Click in the boxes next to Clear Lesson Data and Clear Lesson Assets
4. Click on the Submit button

At this point, Playground will close. Open the app again, then try playing the song again.

jaycee44

Post by jaycee44 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:43 am

Thank you. Followed said instructions and am pleased to say that everything now appears to be functioning normally. Once again a big thank you.

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Perfect! :)