too short keyboard - cannot complete lesson :(

Geek out about your keyboard, MIDI controller and any other equipment you're using with Playground!
lordluca

too short keyboard - cannot complete lesson :(

Post by lordluca » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:58 am

Hi!

My keyboard has only 37 keys (22 white) - 3 octaves.

I encountered a lesson where i have to play notes from octaves beyond reach. When i move the octaves down to play the lower notes i cannot reach the right hand notes.
When move to play higher notes - cannot play the left hand notes :( So i am able do have only 60% score because i have to skip the notes out of my range...

Is there a way to transpose lesson sheet to match my range? If i can transpose only left hand octave higher - i could play the entire lesson 100% :)
I know it will not be the way author intended it to be, but it still be playable.
My hands will be closer to each other, but lesson will be 100%

Any thoughts/suggestions/help?

(and no, i won't buy new keyboard for about a year) :P
Last edited by lordluca on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: too short keyboard - cannot cmplete lesson :(

Post by davidsides » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:07 am

Hey,

That's an unfortunate issue... The best solution would be to get a bigger keyboard. We recommend getting one with at least 49 keys. Otherwise, you'd have to constantly change octaves on your keyboard, which isn't going to be a lot of fun... :(

lordluca

Re: too short keyboard - cannot cmplete lesson :(

Post by lordluca » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:11 pm

So maybe implement function to 'narrow' the fingering in the lessons where stretch is more than 3 octaves.

A lot of homegrown producers use small midi controllers and there is a moment, when they want to learn to play for real... And as a producers they suck so much that cannot afford to buy new keyboard (me included) :)

davidsides
Site Admin

Re: too short keyboard - cannot complete lesson :(

Post by davidsides » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:10 am

That's easier said than done... It would mean that we'd have to alter the actual music as well, which is no small task.

I completely understand what you mean about producers using small controllers and keyboards. I guess one thing you (and they) would have to keep in mind is that while you can learn a good portion of the music theory on a small keyboard, in order to actually become decent at playing a piano you'd need to use something that more closely resembles it - a larger keyboard. :)

So it really depends on the person's goal. Our program is designed to teach how to play the piano, which is why using a larger keyboard would be ideal.

lordluca

Post by lordluca » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:40 am

Ok, you convinced me :)

For now, I'm 120$ shorter than yesterday... Thanks to internet and it's second hand (very) used market :):)

Now i expect myself to learn play piano with your help in no-time :P

davidsides
Site Admin

Post by davidsides » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:23 am

:)